Junior Alexis Milesky dodges defenders in Ohio's game against Robert Morris.

Soccer: Ohio University earns second-straight win with close game against Xavier

Stephanie Rowland scored the game winning goal, which put Ohio on its first winning streak of the season.

If one chose to look at the facts behind Ohio and Xavier's past, it surely wouldn't look good for the Bobcats. 

The Musketeers had beaten the Bobcats six of the previous seven games — including last season's double overtime 3-2 win at Chessa Field — and hadn't been held to less than two goals all season.

But that didn't matter to freshman Stephanie Rowland, who scored Friday's game-winning goal to give Ohio a 2-1 win and its first winning streak of the season. It was the first time Ohio had defeated Xavier since 1999. 

"Any win's a good win," coach Aaron Rodgers said. "But this week we were challenged a lot more. To grind out a victory was very good."

Rowland scored her goal, a shot from the right side of the box that went over the goalkeeper's head, in the 59th minute and originally doubled the Bobcats lead after Holly Harris' opening goal. A late push by Xavier saw the team score a close-range goal in the 81st minute to add some drama to the game.

But the Bobcats were able to clamp down for the last few minutes to earn their second-straight win of the season. 

"We knew they were always going to pose a threat," Rodgers said of the Musketeers. "Our girls just wanted it. ... They really did grind it out."

Although the Musketeers led in almost every statistical category — including 16 shots — the Bobcats were able to force them into poor shots and make some easy work for goalkeeper Taylor Smith. Smith had six saves, but her defense blocked another two and limited a prolific Xavier offense. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="89ca866c-5d5b-11e5-98ca-3f1fd219e659"}}

While the Musketeers had scored 11 goals in their last three games, they found goals harder to come by Friday, with the back line of sophomores Kelley Zebrwoski and Celeste Fushimi-Karns and senior Grace Campbell preventing any consistency by Xavier's offense and showing good chemistry going into the conference season.

"Celeste and Grace both had fantastic games and they are really starting to gel," Rodgers said. 

Rodgers noted that freshman Rianna Reese was injured in practice Thursday, but a rotation of players were available to take her place at left back. 

But even with the left back spot being a question mark, this recent run of games was essential for the Bobcats before Mid-American Conference play starts next weekend.

Ohio opens up MAC play with a trip to Buffalo next Friday. The Bulls biggest threat is defender Jackie Hall, a MAC Hermann watch list player who is prolific on both sides of the field. If the Bobcats are to win their third-straight game, they'll need to continue the offensive flow that's encompassed their game as of late.

@KellenBecoats

kb749012@ohio.edu