Vanessa Cordoba of Ohio University knocks over a Cleveland State player during the first half of their home game on August 30, 2015. 

Soccer: Still winless, Ohio can be optimistic despite losses

Despite a lack of wins, plenty of promise still for Ohio soccer.

Ohio is winless through five games. Through the first three matches, it hadn't scored a goal.

But a 3-2 loss against Marshall on Friday — after initially trailing 3-0 —provides a glimmer of optimism for an otherwise dreary start to the 2015 campaign.

Scoring

Junior Alexis Milesky and freshman Stephanie Rowland were the only Bobcats to score in the 3-2 loss to the Thundering Herd on Friday. Those are the only two goals Ohio has scored through five games this season.

For most of the game against Marshall, Ohio looked like it would still remain scoreless. But an extended halftime — courtesy of a weather delay — gave the Bobcats some additional time to plan out the second half.

Hopefully, they will use the late goals as a confidence boost as they prep for the Mid-American Conference play.

The Bobcats haven't struggled creating opportunities in the final third. They've struggled to work the keeper and convert chances.

Sophomore Hannah Jaggers, redshirt junior Carly Manso and Milesky can be a deadly front three. Once MAC play kicks off, these three — along with redshirt junior Holly Harris and sophomore Allie Curry — can produce a steady output once the goals trickle in. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="dccac260-54e5-11e5-8190-479c519b39e2"}}

Goalie

Coach Aaron Rodgers, a former goalkeeper, hasn't stuck with one keeper this season. Instead, he's opted to rotate sophomore transfer Vanessa Cordoba and freshman Erin Beurkat.

But Beurkat might be the starter going forward, at least for the time being, after Cordoba injured her back Sunday against Kentucky and was seen on the touchline with crutches.

As of now, Rodgers is unsure as to when Cordoba will return, so Beurket will probably be in the goal Friday. This is the perfect time for the freshman to cement her starting role.

Defense 

Kentucky may have thwarted Ohio's goal scoring Sunday when the Bobcats lost 3-0, but Rodger's squad still had one positive to take away from the match: its defense.

Rodgers was excited to see freshman Rianna Reese take the pitch in the preseason, saying she should get some decent playing time. So far, she's been a bright spot.

Accompanied by sophomore Kelly Zebrowski, senior Grace Campbell and sophomore Celeste Fushimi-Karns, Reese has been a reliable presence. Although largely inexperienced, the four of them have played three consecutive games together and are slowly starting to mesh.

Now that it seems Rodgers has found a backline that he's comfortable with, it's only a matter of playing consistently.

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu