Ohio University's Amanda Dalton slides into home plate during the Bobcat's first home game of the season on March 21, 2015 in Athens, Ohio. The Bobcats came out on top, beating Niagara with a score of 7-1. 

Softball: Ohio set for first opponents this weekend

Ohio prepares for fall slate this weekend in Athens. 

Ohio plays its first opponents of the fall Sunday, Charleston and Cleveland State, and no one is more excited than pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey.

Coming off a medical redshirt due to a reoccurring back injury, Dorsey is optimistic about her performance, as well as her teams.

“We really think we’re going to show out. A year has been entirely too long to wait to go into competition with these girls," Dorsey said. "I’m very excited.”

Sloan Walker, one of the team’s few seniors and returning leadoff hitter echoed the statements of Dorsey.

“The cohesion of this team is unbelievable,” she said.

Citing "outstanding" talent and chemistry, Walker believes Ohio is poised to be solid during its fall slate.

Ohio is scheduled to play Charleston, Cleveland State, Marshall, Dayton, Ohio State and Ohio Valley during the fall season. 

Last spring, the Bobcats fell early in the Mid-American Conference tournament as they finished 15-32. 

While Walker and Dorsey are certain to produce, the Bobcats have some question marks to address.

With eight freshman, coach Jodi Hermanek is eager to have some of these questions answered in preseason action.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="09844350-f50d-11e4-8f89-4b3942a179d5"}}

Youth, however, is no excuse for Hermanek and she expects her team to perform regardless of age. She said she expects two wins and domination of the board throughout the weekend.

“I’m excited to see what they can do with other teammates, along with themselves in the green and white," Hermanek said. "I’m ready to see them get out there and compete.”

wh398914@ohio.edu