Christian Edgington

Sports Column: Ohio State trounces Virginia Tech

Braxton Miller shines in new role as Ohio State defeats Virginia Tech.

The Ohio State Buckeyes began their National Title defense in Blacksburg, Virginia, on Monday, trouncing the Virginia Tech Hokies 42-24.

Ohio State was without its starting defensive end Joey Bosa, as well as starting wide receiver Jalin Marshall. Despite the suspensions, however, Ohio State ran away with its first win of the season in the second half thanks to some spectacular quarterback play.

The Buckeyes entered the season with a major dilemma at quarterback. The Buckeyes had the option of going with the strong, powerful, Cardale Jones or going with the quicker J.T. Barrett.

Coach Urban Meyer would eventually give the nod to Jones, the same quarterback who led the Buckeyes through the first-ever College Football Playoff last season.

Perhaps one of the biggest surprises of the night was the play of former quarterback Braxton Miller at his new position -- wide receiver.

Miller, the who began last season at starting quarterback for Ohio State, injured his shoulder and was listed out for the season before playing a single game in 2014.

Miller came back with a vengeance Monday, totaling six carries for 62 rushing yards and a touchdown. Miller also proved lethal through the air with two receptions for 78 receiving yards and a touchdown.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a415f654-52c1-11e5-b17e-1b34d198b2bc"}}

One highlight included a move in which Miller spun away from two pursuing Hokie defenders before scampering to the end zone.

The Buckeyes certainly made a statement in defeating the Hokies on Monday. Despite trailing 17-14 at halftime, the Buckeyes will look to maintain a balance between their aerial attack centered around receivers Miller and Michael Thomas along with their running game led by Ezekiel Elliott.

In the weeks ahead, Ohio State will face Hawaii, Northern Illinois and Western Michigan before opening up Big Ten conference play at Indiana. 

Ohio State’s schedule doesn't look to be too challenging moving forward, as they only play one ranked opponent the rest of the season - Michigan State.

If the Buckeyes continue their offensive dominance, they could find themselves competing for another National Championship in January. 

@edgeofcincy

re620914@ohio.edu