Christian Edgington

Sports Column: Tom Brady off to a historic start with the Patriots

Quarterback Tom Brady sets aside distractions, continues historic start with Patriots.

Tom Brady is 38 years old, a four-time Super Bowl Champion and a two-time NFL Most Valuable Player. On Sunday, however, Brady added another accolade to his list by becoming only the fourth quarterback in NFL history to throw for 400 touchdowns in a career.

With Brady’s 400th touchdown toss to Danny Amendola in the second quarter of Sunday’s win over Jacksonville, Brady joined some elite company: Peyton Manning, Brett Favre and Dan Marino.

Brady is fresh off his fourth Super Bowl win and has the Patriots undefeated three weeks into the season, yet no other quarterback in the NFL has played better than Brady. Brady ranks first in passing yards this season with 1,112, tied for second among quarterbacks in passing touchdowns with nine and has yet to throw an interception.

This past offseason provided lots of suspense for not only Brady, but also the Patriots. "Deflategate" left the Patriots uncertain as to whether or not Brady would be available for week one.

Initially, Brady was suspended for four games by the NFL because of his involvement in "Deflategate". Brady appealed the four-game suspension this offseason, however, and after a long battle, he eventually won the case over league commissioner Roger Goodell. 

With Brady as its starting quarterback, New England seems impossible to dethrone from the top of the American Football Conference. The Patriots have won the AFC East Division 12 out of the last 14 years.

This shouldn't be a shock for Brady. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2c6bf1e8-6208-11e5-bd65-dfb64c8dd0b2"}}

Brady has managed to deal with pressure his entire career. From being picked in the sixth round of his draft class, to stepping in unexpectedly for former quarterback Drew Bledsoe to playing at an elite level for his age, Brady has managed to disregard critics well into his 15th professional season.

Throughout his career, Brady has managed to make the most out of the pieces presented to him, as he won Super Bowls with receivers like Troy Brown and Deion Branch. 

Largely benefiting from Brady’s success this season is tight end Rob Gronkowski. Gronkowski, or “Gronk”, has already hauled in four touchdowns this season, along with 308 receiving yards. Brady and Gronkowski have torn apart NFL defenses for years, and look to be doing the same this season.

If their domination continues, don't be surprised to see Brady and New England back in the Super Bowl this February. 

@edgeofcincy

re620914@ohio.edu