Former Governor Ted Strickland talks to constituents Dale Harris, left, of Athens, and Tom McGuire of Coolville, during a fundraiser for his senatorial campaign at The Pigskin Bar and Grille in Athens, Ohio, on Wednesday.

Ted Strickland visits Athens to raise funds, support in Senate campaign

Ted Strickland appeared in Athens on Wednesday night to garner support for his 2016 bid for U.S. Senate.

Former Governor Ted Strickland has appeared in Athens stumping for other candidates a couple of times since being ousted as governor in the 2010 elections.

But for the first time on Wednesday night, Strickland appeared before a group of about 100 Athens County Democrats not as a former governor but as a candidate for U.S. Senate.

“I am deeply grateful for this wonderful county and all that it represents,” he said during his speech.

The fundraising event, held at the Pigskin Bar and Grille on Court Street was hosted by state Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-Albany, and Athens County Democratic Party Chair John Haseley.

Strickland’s speech focused primarily on what he called the “middle class squeeze,” which he said occurs when middle class wages can’t keep up with the rate of inflation.

“I think what we’re here for is the opportunity for regular people to have a chance in life,” he said.

He was critical of current U.S. Senator Rob Portman, R-OH, whom he said is not as much of a moderate as some of his supporters make him out to be.

One issue Strickland brought up was Portman’s opposition to Planned Parenthood funding.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="faa179d6-57de-11e5-91ff-d73391eda1b5"}}

“These are not, in my opinion, moderate decisions,” he said. “I’m running for the office because I believe regular people need representation.”

The issue of Planned Parenthood funding, which is included in the Federal Budget Bill, is currently facing opposition from Republicans in Congress.

If that bill fails to pass, it would lead to a shutdown of the federal government.

“(Republicans) are so hostile toward Planned Parenthood that they are really forcing us into the brink,” Strickland said. “The rubber’s really going to meet the road early next week and we’ll see where he (Portman) stands.”

Strickland also commended Athens County for its support in previous elections, primarily in his 2006 bid for governor.

“Athens County has saved my political skin more than once,” he said.

He said on election day in 2006, he was behind in the polls most of the time that ballots were being counted.

“There was one county whose votes had not come in yet, and Frances (Strickland, his wife) looked up at me and said, ‘You’re going to win this election, because Athens County still needs to be counted,’ ” Strickland said.

The fundraiser also served as the first event organized by Haseley during his tenure as the County Democratic chair.

“I think he is an exceptional leader,” Haseley said. “I really value him being in public life, so I really think it’s important to do whatever I can to help him so that he can be in public service representing me. I did that as his staff member, I’m doing that as a staff member in one of his counties.”

State Representative Lou Gentile, D-Steubenville, who also got his start in politics working on Strickland’s staff, said having Strickland on the ballot will also help to boost all Democratic candidates up for reelection in 2016, including Gentile himself.

“Ted Strickland really brings a lot of energy to the race for us,” Gentile said.

Haseley also said that the event, in some ways, was more than just a fundraiser.

“It’s much like a homecoming for Ted every time he comes back to Athens,” Haseley said. “He has so many long time friends here. These are not really, in my thinking, political events, these are like family reunions.”

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu