Marco Omta

The Sarcastic Scoop: Pope Francis glad ‘American Idol’ will come to an end

The religious leader said the singing competition show ‘damaged him emotionally.’

WASHINGTON, D.C. — With Pope Francis’s arrival in the U.S. last Tuesday and his heartwarming speech last Wednesday at the White House, the Pope has just revealed in a recent address that the greatest miracle that has occurred in the U.S. within the last decade is the ending of American Idol.

“I truly believe,” the Pope said solemnly, “that many wonderful things have happened in this great nation over the past ten years. God has worked in many mysterious ways over the people of America. But the fact that American Idol will finally be airing its final season this upcoming year — this, truly, is proof that God loves us, his children, all around this great country and around the world.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="ff66bdaa-6229-11e5-86e4-cb73a3f10472"}}

The Pope touched on many important issues among the American people in his speech at the White House in front of President Barack Obama. These issues included immigration, religious freedom, the poor and an in-depth discussion on singing competition series such as American Idol.

“Fifteen seasons is too much,” the Pope said solemnly. “There is no greater sign of human arrogance than this.”

Reception of the Pope’s controversial words on American Idol among famous figures has been mixed.

“We should listen to the Pope,” Obama said in a speech later on. “If there’s one thing that we as Americans must retain, it is our pride as a nation. We cannot have that pride if American Idol keeps going on like this.”

“I think the Pope doesn’t know what he’s talking about,” Simon Cowell told reporters this past Friday. “I think he should stick to religious things and stay away from talking about television. He’s just not good at it, and his voice sounds like a dying bear."

Simon’s comments have led to great controversy, leading many members of the church believing that he may be the antichrist; however, the Pope himself does not seem to agree with this. The Pope’s twitter account, @Pontifex, recently tweeted, “We are all sinners, including Simon Cowell. Especially Simon Cowell.”

Generally, the public responded well to the Pope’s comments.

American Idol has really damaged me emotionally,” one anonymous person said to reporters. “I always thought I knew who was going to win, but I never did — and the winners always sucked. It really took a toll on me every year for 14 years. Every season I wanted ‘American Idol’ to be over, but I still kept watching.”

However, there is still hope for those who have been affected by the television series. The Pope ended on a hopeful note in his speech:

“However, there is always healing. For those who have been afflicted by American Idol, those who have become addicted, those who have been frustrated, there is always healing and peace. This nation must recover from this televised inferno and take pride in its unmatchable reality TV.”

The Pope then ended his speech with a famous Latin prayer.

Marco Omta is a freshman studying music production. What do you think of Pope Francis? Email him at mo183714@ohio.edu.