Courtney Mihocik

Unraveling Threads: Female-run company develops product to decrease chances of sexual assault

AR Wear, headed by two women named Yuval and Ruth, was created with the mission to prevent sexual assault.

We make choices on our dress every day for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons is for protection from the changing environment that surrounds us. If it’s raining, we put on rain jackets and boots. If it’s cold, we bundle up in hats, scarves and coats.

But what do you wear to protect against sexual assault?

One company, AR Wear, founded by two women, Yuval and Ruth, developed a quasi-solution to this problem. The product, designed to give power and control back to a woman’s body, uses a combination of pull- and tear-resistant material coupled with a flexible skeleton to prevent sexual assault. While the wearer of the garments goes out for a night on the town, heads out for a run or is traveling in a foreign country, they will have an increased sense of security against the chance of a sexual assault.

The line of underwear and shorts meant to fit to all body types, can be worn comfortably during a run and will fit underneath a form-fitting outfit without lines showing. The shorts or underwear cannot be pulled down forcibly and can only be removed by the wearer using a special locking mechanism at the center of the waistband.

Though the development of these garments is very altruistic and supplies support for a person’s peace of mind, it is not a perfect solution.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="401e8b6c-6229-11e5-b153-97593fb1115c"}}

The Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network reports that 4 out of 5 assaults are committed by someone known to the victim. That means that if someone wanted to simply “Netflix and chill” with a friend, they may not feel the need to wear the anti-rape garments. The further stereotype of what a person wears equates to their desire to have sex may also begin to envelope the choice to wear anti-rape underwear. If a sexual assault occurs and the victim was not wearing a protective garment, does it become their fault for not being prepared? The company also excludes men, who are also sexual assault survivors.

Arguments aside, I do believe that this product has a place in the wardrobes of our society, especially when RAINN reports that 293,000 assaults happen each year. Although AR Wear begins to solve the problem of violent sexual assaults from strangers, there is no tangible solution protect ourselves from those familiar to us.

Courtney Mihocik is a junior studying journalism. What do you think of these new clothing options? Tweet her @CourtneyMiho or email her at cm674912@ohio.edu.