Courtney Mihocik

Unraveling Threads: What you choose to wear when you’re outdoors can make or break a trip

Columnist Courtney Mihocik provides tips on what to pack and wear when planning a weekend hiking or camping.

Fall is here and, to me, that means perfect weather for a weekend hiking or backpacking trip. The bugs are all gone. The temperature begins dropping to the comfortable 60-70 degrees range, and the leaves begin to change color and drop.

As you head out for a weekend trip to spend time with Mother Nature, not only is where you go important, but what you bring with you is important as well. Working in the outdoor recreation equipment industry helped me learn many things about being safe during even an easy weekend camping trip. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, from 1999 to 2011 the average number of hypothermia-related deaths was approximately 1,300. The correct clothes in your pack could be the difference between a great and comfortable time in the woods and a miserable time spent being dressed in the wrong clothes.

The first thing that’s essential to a positive hiking experience is a good pair of socks and shoes. Unless your weekend plans include a quick climb up Mount Everest, your socks don’t have to be incredibly thick, but keeping your feet warm is important, especially with cooler weather just around the corner. Cotton socks aren’t going to cut it. They don’t wick the sweat away from your feet and they cause chafing easily. Light wool or synthetic socks, preferably with a compression band around the middle of the foot, will support your feet and keep them dry and comfortable.

Hiking boots should also be at the top of your packing list. Almost any kind will do, but in autumn weather, I highly recommend waterproof boots that are mid-ankle height to support your ankles when navigating steep and dangerous terrain.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a585b10c-5cab-11e5-bc4f-bb80ed42f840"}}

Layering up is essential to a safe experience. In the colder weather of the Southeast Ohio mountains and hills, or more east in the Appalachian Mountains, it’s important to not wear cotton layers. Synthetic down and wool are both materials that keep you warm, especially when camping overnight as temperatures drop.

Dressing correctly when heading out into the wilderness is something that is usually in the back of our minds, but is something that should be at the forefront. Protecting our bodies from the environment is the key to a fun trip in the outdoors.

Courtney Mihocik is a junior studying journalism. What types of clothing do you like to pack for a weekend trip? Tweet her @CourtneyMiho or email her at cm674912@ohio.edu.