Ohio sophomore middle blocker Ali Lake (8) blocks the ball from LSU sophomore outside hitter Mimi Eugene (10) during the Ohio vs. LSU game. The Bobcats beat the Tigers in all three matches on Sept. 4.

Volleyball: Ohio heads to Florida for Florida Gulf Coast Invitational

The Bobcats (7-3) are heading to Fort Myers, Florida to compete in the Florida Gulf Coast Invitational.

Just a week before they start conference play, the Bobcats (7-3) are headed to a popular tourist destination — but it’ll be nothing like a vacation.

They're headed to Fort Myers, Florida to compete in the Florida Gulf Coast Invitational.

Ohio will join Florida Atlantic (7-3) as the visitors, with Florida Gulf Coast (7-3) hosting, in the three-team tournament. This will be the first time Ohio plays either Florida Gulf Coast or Florida Atlantic in school history.

"I think going to Florida, we have a couple of teams that have had success early in the season,” coach Deane Webb said. “They've played a pretty good schedule. We're doing a lot of scouting right now of Florida Gulf Coast."

Ohio’s first opponent, Florida Atlantic, is coming off a 2-1 performance at the Courtyard Mayo Classic in Jacksonville, Florida, with consecutive sweeps over Bethune Cookman and Campbell and a five-set loss to North Florida.

The Owls are one year removed from their best season in nine years, going 18-12 in 2014.

The Bobcats’ second opponent, the host Florida Gulf Coast, has won three of their last four matches, including two victories over Hartford and Princeton at the Hofstra/Asics Invitational in Hempstead, New York.

Just like senior libero Meredith Ashy returned to her hometown of Louisville, Kentucky last week, senior middle blocker Shelby Walker will be making a homecoming this week.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="ad19413a-5c84-11e5-a44c-9f95c9f01bfc"}}

Walker grew up in Bradenton, Florida — less than 90 miles from where Ohio will be competing this weekend.

Walker’s mother will make the trip down this weekend, as well as many other of the parents will, and promised to cook a meal for the team poolside at the hotel.

“Everybody's going to have a really nice time there,” Webb said. “It's great when we get a chance for a kid to be able to go back home. It doesn't always work out, unfortunately, but whenever we can, we try to make that happen. We're glad to be able to get down to Florida for Shelby. Our team, I'd say they're not unhappy that she's from Florida. Have a little time at the beach while we're down there. I know our team is looking forward to that, in addition to the great volleyball."

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu