Abby Gilleland and Karin Bull jump to block the ball during the game against VCU on Saturday, September 6, 2014. 

Volleyball: The Bobcats return home to Athens for their invitational

Ohio will face off against a trifecta of solid opponents in LSU, Xavier and Michigan for the Bobcat Invitational.

The Convo seating has been going through reconstruction since the beginning of summer and was supposed to be completed by the home volleyball opener.

Though it’s not quite finished, the dark chairs in the lower bowl and a portion of the upper bowl look heavenly to the Bobcats’ coach Deane Webb.

“We are very, very happy to be at home,” Webb said. “Partly because two of the last four nights we have gotten back here at 3:30 in the morning, and partly because we just have great fans; looking forward to a great weekend with great crowds.”

Following a 3-1 win against then-No. 10 Kentucky Wildcats on Tuesday, the Bobcats (3-1) are "ecstatic" to get things started in front of the Athens faithful with the Bobcat Invitational.

LSU on Friday at 12:30 p.m.

Starting out this year receiving votes to be placed in the top-25, the Tigers first three games have not panned out as well as they wished. They've started 0-3 in 2015.

Webb knows, however, simply mentally preparing for a second straight SEC foe in LSU is crucial in itself.

“We enjoyed (the Kentucky win) and that’s great, but it’s over now. We take the pride and the sense of accomplishment and the hunger to get better, but we don’t let it linger," Webb said. “We know we have to get ready for LSU, a top 40-50 last year and a good team from the SEC."

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f970665a-51ce-11e5-879d-cfee5ae36537"}}

Xavier on Friday at 7:30 p.m.

Ohio will close Friday night off against Xavier, a team that completed its 2014 season with a record of 19-12.

Fans can expect a night full of free McDonald’s and T-shirts, as Ohio Athletics has taken time to engross fans for the Bobcats' home opener.

“Our marketing has put a lot of work into this weekend, particularly the Xavier match,” Webb said. “I believe we’re going to be putting the banner up for last year’s regular season championship. It’s going to be a great moment for our kids.”

Michigan on Saturday at 1 p.m.

In the lone Saturday matchup for Ohio, Michigan — another force of the Big Ten — aims to punch its ticket into the top-25 with a couple victories in Athens.

Both the Bobcats and the Wolverines (3-0) would love to boost their RPIs, but the experience means just as much to coaches looking to see their players gain more reps against top clubs.

"I think it certainly helps when you know you're going to go somewhere and get good multiple matches, Webb said of hosting the Bobcat Invitational at The Convo.

“Every (time) there is a team ... that was in the top 60. That's just great volleyball. If you're a coach, that's what you want," Webb said. "I just think it’s a great, great place to be this weekend."

nk596613@ohio.edu

@NKairys