Athens City Building

Athens City Council "going green," updating tax code

At their weekly meeting, Athens City Council discusses the multiple renewable energy initiatives happening in Athens County as well as the state-mandated uniform tax code.

Athens County is undergoing an “UpGrade” for a potential prize of $5 million and a national award.

UpGrade Athens County is an organization aiming to create a sustainable energy transition for Southeast Ohio, Executive Director Sarah Conley-Ballew said, with their “eye on the Georgetown prize.”

The Georgetown University Energy Prize challenges towns, cities and counties to rethink their energy use and implement creative strategies to increase efficiency, according to its website.

Athens County is one of a select group of communities competing to reduce their energy consumption over a two-year period.

Conley-Ballew highlighted multiple initiatives the organization has fostered in Athens County, including an electric vehicle initiative rolling out this fall.

Athens County residents purchasing 100 percent electric vehicles would be eligible for interest-free financing through the Ohio University Credit Union, Conley-Ballew said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b0f8cb88-6bc8-11e5-8fd9-139e0fbff755"}}

Conley-Ballew also discussed another project spearheaded by UpGrade Athens County: the dispersal of 48,000 LED bulbs to landlords and rental property owners to give to their tenants.

By partnering up with Ohio University Off-Campus Living, 5,000 LED bulbs have already been given to students living off-campus.

Councilwoman Jennifer Cochran, D-At Large, introduced another project for discussion, similar to UpGrade Athens: the Southeast Ohio Public Energy Council.

A three to five megawatt solar farm is under development in the Albany area, she said.

“The idea was not only renewable energy, but local, renewable energy,” Cochran said.

As a member of SOPEC, Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl spoke for the program asking council to pass a resolution expressing support for the 10 to 20 acre array.

“(SOPEC) would like to entice the university into the project as well,” Wiehl said.

Both Athens County and SOPEC will be receiving the Green Innovation Award this November from the Ohio Environmental Council because of these initiatives, Conley-Ballew said.

Wiehl said Athens continues to be innovative in light of the statewide temporary ban on renewable energy.

Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, indicated her support for SOPEC in light of the ban.

“(SOPEC) will put us on the map yet again,” Fahl said. “And it’s bucking the state people, so just another reason to do it.”

SOPEC was not the only issue members of the state legislature may not agree with city council on.

Tina Timberman, the tax administrator for the city of Athens, shared a presentation on the updated Ohio Revised Code pertaining to the uniform tax code being implemented throughout the state.

“If we do not have a new tax code in place by Jan. 1 (2016), according to the language, we cannot levy a tax,” Timberman said.

After listing multiple, mainly low-impact changes to the average Athens taxpayer, Timberman said the biggest impact would be felt by small business owners.

“The last thing I want to do is hurt or affect our tax payers negatively,” Timberman said.

Fahl acknowledged that council must pass a forthcoming ordinance to maintain their greatest revenue: Athens citizens’ taxes.

“I’m personally doing this under duress because it is costing Athens so much money,” Fahl said.

@kaitfoch

kf992915@ohio.edu