Tanner Ingle

BedPost: What to do if you're hooking up with someone your friend has previously hooked up with

Casual hookups happen frequently in college. Here's how to handle the situation if you find yourself hooking up with someone that has already hooked up with your friend. 

"What should I do if I find out the person I’m hooking up with used to hook up with one of my friends?”

Tanner Ingle:

Here at Ohio University, and most college campuses, it can be a very small world. You see the same strangers walking around campus each day, and it seems as though everyone is connected in some way.

So it should come as no surprise that when it comes to hooking up, there is bound to be some overlap. However, when it happens to you and you discover that the person you’ve been getting with has already gotten with a friend of yours, certain unpleasant emotions can arise. But stop right there... Try your best not to freak out because in all actuality, it really isn’t that big of a deal.

If that special someone in your life happened to have a brief tryst with a mutual friend before you were even in the picture, then you really have no reason to get worked up. That is a part of the college experience.

He hooks up with her, and then her, and she hooks up with him, and then him, and it continues on until many people have unknowingly become Eskimo brothers and sisters. So when you and a friend have dipped your pens in the same ink, it’s really no reason to cause tension. Just embrace the fact that there aren’t that many people that go to school with you, and these hook up overlaps are gonna happen, and sometimes they’re gonna happen often.

At the end of the day, just be pleased that you have someone to bang, and don’t dwell on the people that your partner has been with in the past, regardless of who those past conquests are.

Tanner Ingle is a junior studying studio art and environmental and plant biology. What would you do if you were hooking up with someone your friend already had? Email him at kb749012@ohio.edu.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="eb6c06ac-7124-11e5-9e3b-a78fa4d7b156"}}

Abbey Peyton:

Being at a small school, this kind of thing is bound to happen. It seems us Bobcats know each other one way or another. Especially if you're really diggin' this new beau of yours, you want to do everything in your power to avoid this kind of awkward ménage à trois the three of you have found yourselves in.

The most important thing to do when initially discovering this new unfortunate information is to talk to your friend. Make sure they know that you love them, but you also like this suitor and make sure this isn't going to become a problem in your friendship.

All you can hope is that your amigo and your lover were just a one-time thing, nothing serious.

The most important thing to work out from there is the awkwardness that is likely to unfold between your main squeeze and your main pal. This one you'll have to figure out on your own, but I am sure they'll be just as willing to work this out as you are.

Abbey Peyton is a senior studying broadcast journalism. What advice would you give a friend in this situation? Email her at ap384611@ohio.edu.