Economic In-Tuition: Political participation and the debate over free college

Tim McKenna, a worker in the Center for College Affordability and Productivity, weighs in on United States politics and discusses free college tuition.  

Politicians throughout the nation have recently concerned themselves with an issue pertinent to you: making college free. In Tennessee, beginning with the Class of 2015, all high school graduates can attend community college without charge so long as they maintain a 2.0 GPA once enrolled and complete routine community service. The City of Chicago has implemented a similar measure for high schoolers graduating with at least a 3.0 GPA. President Barack Obama has expressed his hope to institute such a policy nationally. And presidential candidate Bernie Sanders has recently touted a plan which would make all public universities in the United States tuition-free for citizens.

Frequently, the arguments in favor of such legislation rely ostensibly on a belief that offering free college will create a smarter workforce and that this will help the U.S move ahead in a globalized, information-based economy. It is seen as an investment in the nation’s future — a preventative measure to stem the decline of America’s educational prowess. Some prefer to contextualize the problem by comparing our college education these days to high school education of a generation past, deeming it necessary training for the modern world.

These arguments presuppose a particular future, one in which the utility of universal college education has been proven to society. They give no mention of the contentious assumptions on which their conclusions rely. Any credence given to possible failures of the legislation is marginalized in favor of talking points which align with the ordained political dichotomy — a display of confidence wins out against honesty.

It is not enough though to write off politicians as liars and thus dismiss them out of hand. To do this is to obscure the role we play in society. A politician’s job is largely rhetorical — concerned with persuading constituents and influencing opinion, and this depends on an audience. We are the audience. However, we should not mistakenly conceive of our role as based purely on consumption because the part we play is much more complex. We are inextricably linked to those politicians who order our society. This link is cyclical, rooted in involuntary communicative feedback. Your response will inform their next communication and their communication will inform your next response. Willful ignorance of the political system does not immunize you to this power.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="580092f2-7755-11e5-b141-4ff8930c82e0"}}

In the debate about free college, you and I occupy a privileged position. Because of our connection with Ohio University, changes to the college system nationally will be felt by us quite acutely. Our collective opinions on the issue have weight because we have a stake in the game.  It is important then that we are wary of the innumerable interpretations and judgments that make up our decision to support or oppose the plan, or else ignore the proceedings. We should not forget that non-participation is still a decision.

Our actions matter, so we might as well consider them. In the political realm, it is critical to not let politicians think for us. Again, their aim is persuasion and control — they have incentive to deceive us and confound facts. So, we should think critically about what is said and unsaid. We should consider the subtleties behind the rhetoric, and place the debate within its appropriate historical context, while taking care not to conflate the past and present. In the end, our opinions should be formed of our own volition, not founded upon the political motivations of elected officials. In this way we can retain the power and agency afforded us by society.

Tim McKenna is a research assistant at the Center for College Affordability and Productivity.