Editorial

Editorial: Housing and Residence Life needs to find another way to pay for Halloween costs besides $50 fee

Students should not have to pay additional costs for their friends to visit during Halloween.

As if students didn’t already pay enough to attend Ohio University, the registration fee for guests staying in dorm rooms during Halloween Weekend has increased from the previous $35 fee to $50.

That is incredibly annoying for students and their guests who, in addition to the fee, have to adhere to strict rules for the weekend.

Though the money is used to pay for the Alcohol.edu program and to compensate for the extra needs Halloween Weekend requires, such as extra staff members, guests don’t have to pay to stay in the dorms any other time of the year, including the weekend of Number Fest, which draws in many visitors.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="033c990e-6c70-11e5-8ea1-bb0c3de52765"}}

It doesn’t make sense to us that Housing and Residence Life would charge guests a fee to stay one popular weekend and not the others. We’re not calling for the university to charge fees for all weekends when an influx of guests is likely to occur. We want to draw attention to the ridiculously large, and seemingly out of place, fee for Halloween Weekend.

Many visitors may not be able to stay with their friends that weekend because of the increase in the fee. It is worth noting that the university is probably well aware of that, and fewer visitors would mean less work on its behalf.

Residential Assistants are on duty almost the entire weekend and we are cognizant of that, but the university needs to figure out a different way to pay for the extra costs. A way that does not include students and their friends footing the bill.

For print:

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors and are independent of the publication’s news coverage.

For web:

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: Editor-in-Chief Emma Ockerman, Managing Editor Rebekah Barnes, Opinion Editor Will Gibbs and Digital Managing Editor Samuel Howard. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.