Editorial: Ohio University students should plan where visitors will park for upcoming Halloween weekend

Parking is often already a problem in Athens, but the arrival of many visitors who don’t have a plan for their vehicles will only complicate the problem.

Though the Athens Halloween Block Party will likely be packed with its fair share of costumed Ohio University students, one should expect an influx of thousands of out-of-towners on Court Street.

With that onslaught of partiers comes an overwhelming number of cars.

Although we do not agree with all of the decisions university and city officials make when planning Halloween, we acknowledge that a great deal of effort from both parties goes into ensuring a safe and fun event.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c04dfe70-7ce7-11e5-a1cc-1fd2190c335a"}}

Still, every year, it seems there’s one problem that goes unacknowledged: the ridiculous lack of parking on campus and Uptown, which leaves some out-of-towners parking illegally at the sake of a ticket or a vehicular accident. It also can leave many of the city’s residents and OU students without spots they’re usually promised.

Partially alleviating that problem, according to the university’s Parking Services website, from Saturday, Oct. 31, at 7 p.m.  to Sunday, Nov. 1, at 6 a.m., “Any vehicle not clearly displaying an Ohio University parking permit will be issued a citation.” Leave your car overnight in a university parking lot and you’ll find yourself with a $150 fine if you don’t have a permit.

The site also states the Baker Center garage will close to the public 3 a.m., Saturday and open at 7 a.m., Sunday.

But the university and city can’t do it all. Part of the impetus is on Athens’ guests to make smart decisions and find parking ahead of time.

In order to not pay a fine, or so your friends don’t have to pay a fine, come up with a location for vehicles well before this weekend. Ultimately, it will cause you less trouble if you think ahead.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: Editor-in-Chief Emma Ockerman, Managing Editor Rebekah Barnes, Opinion Editor Will Gibbs and Digital Managing Editor Samuel Howard. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.