Ohio senior running back Daz'mond Patterson jumps over Western Michigan's defense during a game Oct. 17. Ohio lost to Western Michigan 49-14. 

Football: Notes from Solich's press conference

Ohio coach Frank Solich held his weekly press conference Monday after the Bobcats' 49-14 loss to the Broncos. 

After a morale-crushing 49-14 loss to Western Michigan, Ohio coach Frank Solich reiterated at Monday’s weekly press conference that the Bobcats (5-2, 2-1 Mid-American Conference) weren’t going to dwell on any past performances.

Here are a few quotes and a few notes to point out:

Don’t look back on losses 

“It’s disheartening, it set us back. But we will get over it. When we step on the field today we will be over it.”

Solich was blunt in saying that he was disappointed in the loss and said it sent the program back. But Solich listed off “controllable and uncontrollable” factors that led to the Broncos steamrolling through the Bobcats’ defense, producing 430 rushing yards.

Serious linebacker concerns 

“Certainly don’t discredit the players for anything that went on. I thought they played hard. … Some of the things that happened were out of their control.”

Solich said sophomore linebacker Quentin Poling was on the field for 11 plays before he was injured. Monday afternoon Solich said the linebacker’s “best case scenario” would mean he’s out for a few weeks.

That means the other usual suspects — Jovon Johnson, Chad Moore and Blair Brown — will have to pull more weight moving forward. But there’s a catch: Those three players are hurt as well.

Solich said they were “very questionable" to play Saturday in Buffalo.

Two-backs 

“We are going to continue to develop a two-back, a two big-back kind of offense as well as an explosive kind of an offense with Daz (Patterson) now.”

Solich said running back Papi White would have the same health timetable, at least until he has an MRI during the week.

Recently the Bobcats have lined up with a two-back system instead of one, meaning White and Patterson would line up together more frequently as A.J. Ouellette's role decreased.  

Against Miami, running backs Dorian Brown and Maleek Irons were also brought into the game plans. Though Solich didn’t come out and openly state if their roles would increase, he did say Ouellette has taken the lack of carries well and is willing to limit carries if it means more offensive productivity in the long run.

Random thought 

On a lighter, comical note, Solich said he likes his coffee “black, not touched up at all.”

@Charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu