Football: Ohio prepares for archrival Miami

Saturday will be the last time quarterback Derrius Vick plays Miami, Ohio's historical "archival," in his career, yet he's taking Saturday's game like he would any other. 

At practice Thursday, Vick seemed calm and tranquil  maybe the antithesis of some Ohio fans when talking about Miami. 

"Particularly just in my scenario, and the seniors, it's our last time playing them and I guess no better way than having it on homecoming and being a home game," Vick said. "That alone means a lot for us and our team."

Vick said the Bobcats (4-1, 1-0 MAC) didn't change how they approached practice this week and won't pay much attention to the RedHawks' 1-4 record heading in.

Miami has lost four games in a row, losing to Wisconsin and Western Kentucky earlier in its season, giving up 35 points per game. 

"Statistics at times can certainly be misleading, you don’t want to bank on statistics," Ohio coach Frank Solich said Monday at his press conference.

"You watch on film and see an aggressive football team," he said. "You see a football team that does have talent, and that all comes together at some point. It is coming together for them. They’re not void of talent. They have good coaches, and that usually plays itself out as a plus." 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="ee809106-6d22-11e5-993b-676ef4d6be82"}}

Miami's statistics may lie, but Ohio's depth doesn't.

Vick said he's been feeling "tremendous" since last Saturday's 14-12 win over Akron and has been able to run more in practice. 

Against Akron, Vick was held in the pocket mostly because of a lingering foot injury, but his mobility could be a factor in Saturday's game. Vick has run the ball six times against the Zips, despite running it 37 times so far this season.

Along with Vick, linebacker Jovon Johnson was cleared to practice this week. Johnson missed the previous two games after starting every game (12) for the Bobcats in 2014. 

Tarell Basham also will be "100 percent" ready, per Solich, for Saturday's matchup with the RedHawks. Basham has recorded six tackles and 2.5 sacks in three games and sat out Saturday's game. 

"We have more depth on the defense than we’ve had for some time," Solich said. "That’s a huge positive and it’s coming into play as a huge positive for us this early in the season. Most teams are banged up some."

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu