Ohio head coach Frank Solich leads his team on to the field in 2012. The Ohio Bobcats defeated the Eastern Michigan Eagles 45-14 at Peden Stadium on Nov. 1, 2012. (FILE)

Football: Points taken from coach Frank Solich's press conference

Ohio coach Frank Solich addressed the media Monday morning concerning Ohio's match up with Miami on Saturday. 

Ohio coach Frank Solich addressed the media Monday to talk about quarterback Derrius Vick's health, AJ Ouellette's workload and Miami's defense. 

Here were some of his points:

On Vick — 

"He felt better yesterday than he did the previous Sunday. I’d say he’s continuing to improve. We are hoping he will be full-go as we come closer to the end of the week.”

Vick was sidelined during the first drive of the third quarter against Akron on Saturday after injuring his left wrist from a knockdown. Injuries have nagged Vick's season, including an elbow injury in Ohio's 21-10 win against Marshall, which caused him to miss the second half. 

Barring any issues, Vick should play against Miami on Saturday. Vick's health has been questioned the last few weeks heading into the weekend but has dressed regardless. Miami shouldn't be any different. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f28f643e-6a1b-11e5-8501-bb34d45961d0"}}

On the lack of carries Ouellette has received in the previous two games —

"If you look at the way it played out, we weren’t getting the type of yard-gain on the ground that we would have hoped to. We were struggling in trying to make it fit for us offensively in terms of getting things accomplished. Part of it was Akron’s defensive front. They were probably the best defensive front we have faced so far. I think part of it was also Derrius (Vick) being ‘hobbled’, which didn’t allow us to run our whole offense."

In the previous two games, Ouellette has ran the football 18 times for 85 yards and a touchdown, so it's evident Solich still wants to utilize Ouellette's services despite pedestrian numbers.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c2004066-6adb-11e5-a69c-93e111561815"}}

On Saturday, Akron stacked the box to prevent Ohio's three-headed monster of Ouellette, Papi White and Daz Patterson to halt Ohio's running game, so Solich is right. 

As Vick's running ability remains in question, expect Ouellette to bounce back against Miami though. The RedHawks have surrendered 188.8 rushing yards per game this season.

On Miami —

“They are a young football team. I think they are growing fast; they want to win and want to win now. They will come in with a great attitude and feeling confident in themselves and their ability, and we need to counter that with our own confidence in ourselves and our ability. It should be an excellent matchup."

Mostly coaches' speak from Solich. Miami (1-4, 0-1 Mid-American Conference) has struggled this season and Saturday could be Ohio's chance to go 2-0 in the MAC since 2012. The RedHawks are ranked 13th in scoring offense, ninth in total defense and are 11th in total offense in the MAC this season.

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu