The Bulldogs prepare to take the field against Watkins Memorial on Sept. 7, 2013. Athens won the contest 53-3 and is 3-0 on the season entering this week's matchup with Jackson. (Isaac Hale | Staff Photographer)

High School Football: Another big night from Saltzman helps Bulldogs in overtime

Zacciah Saltzman rushed for 371 yards en route to a conference victory over Wellston Friday night.

Wellston, Ohio  Athens running back Zacciah Saltzman has been destroying opposing defenses in the previous three weeks. That trend continued Friday night against Wellston. 

Saltzman carried the ball 45 times, rushing for 371 yards and finding the end zone four times to spur a second half comeback from a 17-point deficit to defeat the Rockets, 50-42, on the road. The win gives Athens its fourth straight victory and keeps its Tri-Valley Conference title hopes alive. 

“It’s been the same thing the last few weeks," Athens coach Ryan Adams said of his six-foot, 210 pound running back. "(Saltzman) works so hard and it shows.”

After two first half touchdown passes by quarterback Brendan Sano, Athens held a 13-8 advantage. Before the half ended, Saltzman, who only had 108 yards at halftime, added a 57-yard touchdown run and Wellston quarterback Jonathon Womeldof had touchdown runs of 33 yards and 39 yards to give Wellston a 20-19 halftime advantage.

Wellston made quick work of the opening possession of the second half, scoring on another Womeldof touchdown run, making the score 28-19 in favor of the Golden Rockets.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="590193ce-6abf-11e5-a309-c36a38671ca6"}}

After an Athens turnover, Wellston wingback Nick Cox took a handoff 89 yards for a Rockets touchdown to extend the lead to 36-19.

Just when Athens looked like they had its last breath of air, or momentum, Saltzman took the game into his own hands. After a Wellston turnover, Saltzman scored on a 39-yard run to the lead to 36-34, Wellston, heading into the fourth frame.

Holding the Rockets to a three-and-out, the Bulldogs turned the ball over on downs. This allowed for a Wellston score to extend the lead to 42-34.

With six minutes left in regulation, Saltzman tied the game on a three-yard touchdown run and a two point conversion.

In overtime, Wellston elected to defend first. Saltzman didn’t see a problem with having the ball first, as he took the first snap of overtime 20 yards to give the Bulldogs a 50-42 advantage and their first lead since the second quarter.

Wellston then got the ball, needing a touchdown to extend the game, but as the Bulldogs sacked Womeldof, he fumbled and gave the ball to Athens to end the game.

“We ran into a Wellston team that was determined tonight," Adams said. "Give credit to them. (Wellston) played fantastic and (Womeldof) played a great game. We are just happy to get away with a win.”

@spencerholbrook

Sh690914@ohio.edu