High School Football: Athens Spoils Gallia Academy’s Homecoming in unfavorable weather

Athens spoils Gallia Academy’s homecoming, 35-0.

Gallipolis, Ohio — Friday night brought a driving rain storm, making field conditions unfavorable for the matchup between Athens (3-3) and Gallia Academy (0-6).

Athens did not seem to mind it, however, making big plays to win 35-0 and get back to .500.

“For our guys to come out, play inspired and embrace the elements is something that you hope your team will do on a night like this and we did just that,” Athens coach Ryan Adams said. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2d1bc5e6-6541-11e5-827e-4b595d144379"}}

With field conditions unpleasant, Athens' defense held Gallia Academy to mostly mishaps and punts, as Blue Devils’ quarterback Kole Carter threw an interception to Bulldog Robert Dickelman, keeping the Athens shutout in tact late.

Holding Gallia to just 111 yards of total offense, the Athens defense made big plays throughout the night to keep Gallia Academy off the scoreboard.

Starting the second half, the Athens defense had its back against the wall, but kept Gallia Academy out, holding Gallia on a 4th and goal from the Athens 10, taking over on downs.

A sloppy third quarter by both sides kept the score 21-0 in favor of Athens. Athens running back Zacciah Saltzman started the fourth quarter by going untouched for a 6-yard score to push the lead to 28-0.

After Athens' defense forced a quick three-and-out, Saltzman took a handoff from his own 35 yard line, again going untouched for a 65-yard score. He ended the game with 165 yards rushing and three touchdowns. Dickelman ended the game with his second interception of the night before the JV team saw action.

“It’s good to even up your wins and losses after week six. To be going back into league play after two wins is definitely something you definitely can build from," Adams said. “I think our defense is playing with a little more confidence. That allows (us) to continue to progress to get better because it’s a tough road ahead.” 

@spencerholbrook

Sh690914@ohio.edu