Bri Shaniuk

Histories of hOUme: Ohio University home to many famous alumni, including woman who voices Bart Simpson

Nancy Cartwright, the woman who voices Bart Simpson, has previously said that her time at OU helped make her the artist she is today.

For the students of Ohio University, it is often said that once you’re a Bobcat, you will forever remain a Bobcat and that regardless of who you are or where you may go in life, this will endlessly remain true.

Over the years, OU has been the proud home of thousands upon thousands of students, many of whom return the favor of hospitality by proudly living up to the standards of the university’s greatness through accomplishing tremendous things.

Some of today’s most commercially well-known people are OU alumni. Television actor Ed O’Neill, journalist Roger Ailes, professional golfer Dow Finsterwald, actor Paul Newman, cartoon vocalist Nancy Cartwright and so many more acclaimed and prosperous people attended our university.

Cartwright, the famous voice of television cartoon icon Bart Simpson, officially became a Bobcat in 1976. In a 2012 article written on Ohio University’s Compass website, Cartwright was quoted talking about how the university helped her get to the perfect place in order for her to accomplish all that she set out for.

“Ohio University was instrumental in my success as an artist. I was surrounded by young people like myself who loved performing and keeping incredibly active doing what we love to do. I ‘lived for’ rehearsals and going to competitions. Not only did I get to travel a bit and celebrate with the team when we would bring home trophies, but more importantly, I found lifelong friends whom I continue to work with today,” said Cartwright in her keynote address for the National Forensics Association Tournament in 2010.

Two years prior to the beginning of The Simpsons, Cartwright introduced the voice of Bart Simpson for an animation series on the Tracey Ullman Show in 1987. It was then that her famous cartoon character was brought to life.

In 1989, The Simpsons debuted on FOX and still airs new episodes even today.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="befac32a-6c69-11e5-9dd3-977e3eb23b08"}}

Aside from this success, throughout her career, Cartwright has also contributed voices for many other well-known animated television shows, including Rugrats, All Grown Up! and Kim Possible. Due to her accredited accomplishments, she has been nominated for multiple Emmy Awards, as well as winning an Annie Award for all of the greatness that she has carried out as a voice-over artist.

Once you are a Bobcat, you are forever destined to accomplish magnificent things. Famous for its bricks and also for its Bobcats, OU will perpetually remain home to students, home to alumni and home to greatness.

Bri Shaniuk is a freshman studying journalism. What Ohio University alumni impress you? Email her at bs714714@ohio.edu.