Letter: ‘Post’ should not have published recent letter to the editor written by ‘ill-informed individual’

An angry student reacts to the letter published Tuesday.

I am very upset and offensive with the article “court ruling on gay marriage should be overturned” by Wayne Lela. This article does not express a critical view of the supreme court’s gay marriage ruling, it is simply hate speech. This is very much an ill-informed individual about what LGBT++ stands for who we are. This blatant hate rant on a community would never have been posted by a paper if “homosexuality” was replaced by African American or Hispanic. There is also speak within our community that Wayne Lela is a founder of a hate organization with hate to anyone who doesn’t hold their Christian views. Now this person does have the right to have their freedom of speech and options, but why is such a person being allowed to post in our paper? He does not live in our state or go to this campus or ever gone to this school. My concern is why is The Post using this articles? Is The Post a hate group, homophobic, transphobic? Is The Post trying to make our campus unsafe and anti-LGBT++, this is just one editor posting one hate speech, but this paper reflects the campus. Is The Post wanting to show their opposition to gay marriage? If so, then why not have a well typed argument? Why not post something from campus? Why go to an out source to depict a message of hate? I’m a transgender parent, I come to campus as a safe zone, a place where me and my child can be safe involved and in the community, but now there is the major publication of Athens campus, just spewing hate. I would like to know why? Why this post? Why this person? Why this hate? Why not a valid argument? I would love to hear a response from The Post, I would love to hear an apology.

Brooke Hastings is a first-year student studying electrical engineering.