APD cruisers are parked at the department's headquarters. (FILE)

'Letters Home' notifies parents of their students arrests

Each month, the Athens Police Department sends out around 30 ‘letters home’ as part of their Letters Home program which informs parents of any arrests their student may hold.

Some student's weekly call to their parents or guardians can involve classes, significant others, internships and sometimes an explanation of why they were arrested. 

Each month, the Athens Police Department sends out about 30 ‘letters home’ as part of its Letters Home program which informs parents or guardians of any arrests their student may hold.

The program began in the early '90s, and continues today as a way to inform parents.

“It was presumed at the time that they were funding their children’s education … (and) they might be engaging in high-risk behavior that their parents might want to know about,” Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle said.

Pyle said when the program was initiated by a previous police chief that most letters were sent out for alcohol violations, but sometimes it would be due to a DUI or a serious assault arrest.

“Now our letters home program is more narrowly focused on alcohol violations,” Pyle said.

Pyle said when the program was first initiated, students made the argument that they’re legal adults, and students' parents shouldn't be notified.

That sentiment still stands true.

“We’re 18 or older so I don’t see why they would send (letters) to our parents,” Monica Powell, an undecided freshman, said.

Megan Woolum, an undecided sophomore, said since most college students are 18 years or older, they should have the right to decide whether or not to tell their parents.

“I do understand how it can get to a point where (parents) need to know,” Woolum said. “It depends on the situation.”

Woolum added students deserve some privacy due to their legal adult status.

Regardless of whether or not APD reaches out to parents, the information is available to anyone who's looking, Pyle said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2ea76ec2-6c78-11e5-ab69-2baddbcaaa56"}}

“I think now they understand it is a fact of life, it is a public record,” Pyle said.

Pyle added his department never gets a negative call from a parent related to the letter, and that most are thankful.

Aside from APD’s program, Ohio University also alerts parents when students are in trouble.

“The Office of Community Standards does parental notifications as well after a student has been held accountable,” Jenny Hall-Jones, interim vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students, said.

When a student is held accountable through OU's process, it means they have admitted to the charges or have gone through a hearing about the charges, Hall-Jones said.

“It’s more about reaching out to parents and having them be another person, another caring voice saying, ‘Are you making the right decision? Is everything okay? Is there anything you need from us?’” Hall-Jones said.

Along with the risk of suspension, parental notification is a good indicator of students not getting in trouble again, Hall-Jones added.

“It’s another way to encourage parents and to let parents in that conversation and make sure that we are not the only ones having that conversation,” Hall-Jones said.

@Fair3Julia

Jf311013@ohio.edu