MAC Notebook Week Seven: Toledo, BGSU continue to win

The Mid-American Conference prepares for week seven of college football.

Week seven in the Mid-American Conference proved that the best teams keep improving.

With wins from division leaders Bowling Green and Toledo, the top teams created separation between themselves and second-place Ohio and Western Michigan, respectively.

There's only five games left in the regular season, meaning conference games become crucial in determining if a team is competing for a MAC championship — or even a bowl game.

BGSU takes first place in East

With Ohio’s loss and Bowling Green’s (5-2, 3-0 MAC) 59-10 rout of Akron (3-4, 1-2), the Falcons moved into first place in the MAC's East division.

The Falcons’ offense continues to fire on all cylinders — quarterback Matt Johnson threw five touchdown passes for the second straight game. Johnson continues to lead the nation in passing with his 2,891 yards.

“Matt Johnson is really only in his first year with this offense,” BGSU coach Dino Babers said. “For him to be doing some of the things he’s doing is really exciting."

Johnson has been the MAC East division offensive player of the week five times this season.

Chippewas bounce back

Following a 41-39 loss at Western Michigan, Central Michigan (3-4, 2-1 MAC) rebounded Saturday with a 51-14 blowout over Buffalo (2-4, 0-2 MAC). Ohio plays Buffalo on Saturday.

CMU quarterback Cooper Rush threw for four touchdowns and rushed for another.

“You can’t allow yourself to ride the roller coaster of emotions,” WMU coach John Bonamego said. “You can’t allow yourself to get too high after a win or too low after a loss. Losing to Western was a big disappointment but we didn’t allow (dwelling on the loss) to beat us."

Weekly Toledo Update

Toledo’s (6-0, 3-0 MAC) 63-20 win over Eastern Michigan (1-6, 0-3 MAC) moved the Rockets up three spots in the AP poll to No. 19 and makes the team bowl eligible.

Fun fact: Over 206 passing attempts, the Rockets’ offensive line has yet to give up a sack this season.

@HahnJeremyR

jh704614@ohio.edu