The Marching 110 perform during halftime at Peden Stadium on Saturday, September 21, 2013. The Marching 110 played "Safe and Sound" by Capital Cities, "Applause" by Lady Gaga, "Roar by Katy Perry, and " The Fox" by Ylvis. (Olivia Wallace, File Photo)

Marching 110 receives shout out from Sia, clip of performance featured on 'Today'

The Marching 110’s Oct. 17 performance received recognition from Sia and a clip of it was played on NBC's 'Today.'

Sia’s tweet about part of the Marching 110’s halftime performance has received more than 400 retweets.

On Oct. 17, the 110 performed Sia’s new song “Alive,” The Weeknd’s “I Can’t Feel My Face,” Panic! at the Disco’s “Victorious” and Fall Out Boy’s “Uma Thurman.” Since then, the performance has received national recognition.

Sia tweeted Monday morning to send praise to the 110.

Josh Boyer, the assistant director of the Marching 110, said it was exciting for the band’s rendition to get recognition, especially because the song doesn’t seem mainstream yet.

“It’s pretty neat — not that we ever try to one-up original artists — but I think it’s pretty cool that she’d make that comment about our version,” Boyer said. 

Sia was not the only one to take notice of the performance.

Actress Uma Thurman appeared Monday on NBC’s Today, and a clip of the Marching 110 performing Fall Out Boy’s “Uma Thurman” alongside 20 other marching bands made it onto the show.  

The same day as the halftime performance, Panic! at the Disco’s lead singer Brendon Urie recognized the 110’s halftime performance of “Victorious” on Twitter. He called the performance “awesome” and thanked the 110 for performing it.

“Alive” and “Victorious” both were released in late September, which meant it was a short amount of time for the band to learn the songs, Boyer said. He added that it’s great the band has the ability to be able to play songs that have recently been released.

The Marching 110 doesn’t plan its performance in the summer; instead, the band waits to see what is popular or new, Boyer said. He added that the band finds some of its performance songs based on what is popular on iTunes.

“Uma Thurman” was planned in advance since the 110 played it along with high school marching bands for Band Day, Boyer said.

Corbin Curtis, a sophomore studying English and a member of the band, said it is great for the school to get social media recognition from someone as famous as Sia.

However, Cole Sermersheim, a sophomore studying wildlife conservation and a member of the band, said the band doesn’t play to be recognized.

“It’s really cool to have that publicity,” he said. “We don’t strive for it. We do it to please the fans — we don’t play for ourselves.”

Madeleine Stees, a junior studying early childhood education, said it’s great for the 110 to get noticed.

“They definitely deserve it," she said. "They work really hard and they do some really great renditions so it’s great that they’re getting the recognition."

The band’s performance of The Weeknd’s hit “I Can’t Feel My Face” is the only part of the Oct. 17 performance that has not yet been recognized by national media.

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu

The Marching 110 is seen at 2:06.