Provided via birdiefire.com

Men's Golf: Despite slow start, 'Cats jump on opportunities in second round

Juniors Peyton White and Ty Herriott lead Bobcats heading into round three. 

Peyton White's play summed up the afternoon.

White, a junior, shot a 76 (4-over-par) in the first round Monday at the Firestone Invitational in Akron. By his second round, he shot a 67 — 5-under-par and nine shots fewer than his morning round. 

He ended day one of the tournament in 15th, leading an Ohio team that finished ninth. The Bobcats were in 13th after the morning round.

White's second round, the best any Ohio golfer recorded Monday afternoon, read out five birdies and one eagle.

The rest of Ohio's scores, while not as drastic in between the first and last 18 holes, did vary, which indicates the Bobcats might have a better feel for the PGA-course heading into the third round Tuesday morning.

Ty Herriott, ninth in the field, finished the second, 3-under-par, and finished off the day with a score of 138, 2-under.

Grant Engel, who placed 22nd after two rounds, shot 144 over the two combined rounds. In the first and second, he shot even — a 72 both times. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="46d14e88-6231-11e5-b794-2b2d122f6fd5"}}

Senior captain Mike Engelman shot 6-over-par in the first round, but improved in the second by shooting even. Combined over the two, Engelman shot 150, which was good enough to finish 57th overall.

Freshman Ben Sattler, playing in his second collegiate match, shot 4-over in round one, and 7-over in round two. He finished off the 36 holes in 83rd place, with a combined score of 155, 11-over par.

At the break after day one, Maryland leads the event shooting 7-under par, and a score of 569. Ohio shot 1-over-par, and recorded a score of 577, eight shots off of the lead.

In their first match of the season, at the John Feaganes Marshall Invitational, the Bobcats led the field after the first round, but by round three had fell to 10th in the tournament.

“I think the first two rounds at Marshall were the first two rounds as a team we have shot under par since I have been here,” Peyton White had previously said. “It is a huge building blocks for us and we did it twice in a row, so if we can find a way to just kind of keep that going into the third round I think we are going to have a heck of a season.”

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu