Ohio University golfers pose for a portrait at the Athens Country Club. (FILE)

Men's Golf dominates day one at Terrapin Invitational

The frost did not hold the Bobcats back from playing golf in round two.

Round one of the Terrapin Invitational was cancelled due to frost, but that didn't stop the Bobcats from scorching their opponents in round two.

In college golf there is usually three rounds, two on the first day and one on the second, with the whole tournament consisting of 54 holes in two days. Monday morning Maryland University, the host of the tournament, announced that round one was canceled because of frost on the course, cutting the tournament down to 36 holes, and play would resume at 12:30 p.m. 

This put Ohio in a delicate position, forcing the team to play their best golf right away, and not having an adjustment period like they usually do.

Ohio delivered, however, by playing some of its best golf yet.

After day one, Ohio is tied for second with James Madison, each team shooting a 294, six-over par; only trailing leader Maryland by two shots.

Throughout two tournaments this year, juniors Peyton White and Ty Herriott have been leading the team, but not this time. Grant Engel dominated day one, and is in a tie for second place with a two-under par. 

In previous tournaments this year, it has been Engel who struggled, at times, being a constant shooter, going back-and-forth between birdies and bogeys. 

“I know Grant Engel had a real good putting tournament (Firestone Invitational),” coach Bob Cooley said previously. “He’s close to being really good. He just makes a couple mistakes here in there, he bogeys a hole and then birdies the next.”

White is tied for 11th place, shooting one-over par. Earlier in the season, coach Bob Cooley said both White and Herriott are streaky players, so come tomorrow the two may be playing much different golf.

Herriott (tied for 16th) shot a 74, two-over par, and was able to have a homecoming of sorts. Herriott is originally from Brandywine, Maryland which is only about 50 miles from Woodmont Country Club. 

Round two play starts tomorrow at 9:30 p.m. in a shotgun start where only 18 holes will be played.

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu