The third round leaderboard from the Firestone Invitational in Akron, Ohio.

Men's Golf: Ohio University putts into fourth at the Firestone Invitational

Peyton White finished in a tie for ninth. 

After a slow start in round one, the Bobcats recovered and tied for fourth place at the Firestone Invitational — the best an Ohio team has ever finished at the Akron event.

Led by juniors Peyton White (tied for ninth) and Ty Herriott (tied for 12th), along with sophomore Grant Engel (tied for 19th), Ohio shot a 2-over 290 on Tuesday. The team shot a 297 in the first round. 

This was the first invitation where the Bobcats had three golfers in the top 20 overall. 

"We knew what was working for us,” coach Bob Cooley said. "We were keeping the ball on the green, and our putting was looking pretty good yesterday, we made a lot of putts. Today we didn’t putt quite as well."

After round one Monday morning, Ohio was in 13th place, but improved in the afternoon to finish the day in fourth. The Bobcats held that spot Tuesday.

"Yeah, we are getting better,” Cooley said. "We are still getting ready to go. We played the last few holes pretty well. A lot of teams played better then we did today. It's a learning process. We didn’t fall apart or anything."

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="195c2fa4-6bb9-11e5-b397-e7dcf66c1dac"}}

Early on Tuesday, the Bobcats jumped up to third place, but dropped back down as the day continued.

White led Ohio on Tuesday shooting a 2-under-par with six birdies. He finished shooting 3-under.

After leading the pack of Bobcats on Monday, Herriott fell down into a tie for 12th place shooting straight par (72) and finishing off the tournament 2-under-par.

Engel, who placed the highest last year in this tournament, finished in a tie for 19th, shooting 216 over the three rounds and shooting even every day.

Captain Mike Engelman and Ben Sattler rounded out the field for Ohio. Sattler finished the tournament 15-over, and Engelman shot 10-over.

Prior to the tournament this year, Ohio had played at Firestone for three years with its best finish coming in 2012, with a 13th-place finish.

"Well, Peyton played well the first day, but didn’t play that great this morning, but he battled back,” Cooley said. "Ty was outstanding the whole tournament. He was right on par every day. He was a little bit under here and there. Grant would make a birdie, then make a bogey. He had one bad break, but he shot 72.

"We have some good rounds from the freshman, and Engelman, everybody contributed, and thats what makes a better team. "

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu