via GolfStatResults.com

Men's Golf: Peyton White shows he can compete with the best

Junior Peyton White and freshman Ben Sattler are making a huge contributions at the Homewood/Hilton Garden Airport & FGCU Classic. 

Peyton White has officially arrived on the national college golf scene, or so it seems.

The junior golfer from Ohio sits in fifth place at the Homewood/Hilton Garden Airport & FGCU Classic after day one of the tournament. 

White is 2-shots off of the lead with a 2-under par and trails four golfers, including three who are ranked nationally in Division I.  

In his three previous tournaments this season, White has finished in the top 10 two times and has been an emerging star throughout his career at Ohio.

White advanced up the leader board in the second round by shooting a score of 69, 3-under par.

Freshman Ben Sattler had one of his best days this fall, shooting a score of 14-over par, good enough for a tie for 42nd.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="33723fe2-777a-11e5-a70a-47fdacfefcce"}}

Sattler was one of the better golfers to come in with this year’s recruiting class and has started playing right away.

Coach Bob Cooley previously mentioned that he had seen vast improvement from Sattler from the start of the season and that he expected him to be a big contributor to this year’s team. 

Sattler and White lead all Ohio golfers with Ty Herriott in a tie for 48th, Grant Engel in a tie for 55th and Mike Engelman in a tie for 66th.

As a team, Ohio sits in a tie for seventh with Eastern Kentucky after two rounds of play, both shooting a score of 615.

Nationally ranked Florida, 22nd in the nation, is in first shooting a score of 566.

Though it seems unlikely for Ohio to come back to win the tournament with only one round left, it is plausible it makes a run for sixth place.

Additionally, Peyton White has all the tools to make a move for the number one position with a combination of long drives and precision on the greens. 

If White can keep up the play he's shown in the first two rounds Monday, he has a chance to make national notoriety.

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu