'Fantastic Voyage'

Ohio University College of Arts and Sciences' film series focuses on future

College of Arts and Sciences to host the third installation in a four-part film series. 

Just as science works toward the future, a common theme in science fiction looks to predict future events through film and pop culture.

“What Does the Future Hold," a film series hosted by The Athena Cinema and the College of Arts and Sciences, celebrates the future and all of its glory with four separate movies. Tuesday’s installment, which is the third in the series, features the 1966 classic Fantastic Voyage. The film will be screened for free at the Athena on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

“(Fantastic Voyage) details the adventures of a team of doctors who travel through the human body in a miniaturized submarine to resolve a blood clot in the brain of a scientist who holds secrets about the miniaturization process,” Patrick O’Connor, a professor of anatomy and neuroscience and one of the presenters after the film, said in an email. 

“Knowing the Future” has become a curriculum theme from the College of Arts and Sciences. The reasoning: “many faculty in the College of Arts & Sciences seek to predict what’s going to happen,” according to their homepage.

The series began with Children of Men and The Imitation Game. Children of Men highlights what the future may look like while The Imitation Game showed individuals the type of work that scientists do in their everyday lives.

A Q&A session with at least one College of Arts and Sciences faculty expert follows each film screening. O’Connor will be joined by Erin Murphy, an associate professor of bacteriology.

“We will be on hand to discuss the themes of the movie, but anticipate that some of the take-away points will be understanding the importance of science, engineering and technology literacy in our country today,” O’Connor said in an email. “This effort could be heralded as an early venue for engaging the general public about science and technology, while at the same time being straight up science fiction (and mostly fun).”

The College of Arts and Sciences created this program for students looking for a fun and educational experience. The cost is free, and participation in the Q&A session is not mandatory, according to the film series' website.

“I’ve always had an interest in sci-fi considering it’s my favorite genre of books and movies,” Michael Swensen, a freshman studying recreational management, said. “There is a lot of history behind this film and the fact that it is free is just even more motivation for me to go see it.”

@tony_heim35

ah083514@ohio.edu