Member of GSS addresses the issue of student workers and the low wages they are receiving. (FILE)

Ohio University Graduate Student Senate to re-examine boycott resolution, appoint new members

During October’s meeting, the Graduate Student Senate will be reviewing a tabled resolution to boycott university committees.

Ohio University Graduate Student Senate will examine five resolutions Monday, including one calling for a boycott of presidential and university committees until President Roderick McDavis addresses concerns about the university’s general fee.

The resolution, which was tabled after a lengthy debate among GSS members during September's assembly, stipulates that McDavis attend an upcoming GSS meeting and answer questions from senate members until a majority vote determines that all issues have been sufficiently addressed.

Included in the agenda for Monday’s meeting is a transcript of an email exchange between Kelli Tackett, McDavis's presidential assistant, and GSS Vice President of Communication Sarah Kaplan.

In the email, Tackett extended an invitation for the GSS executive council to meet with McDavis, alongside Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit and Joseph Shields, dean of OU’s Graduate College.

It is unclear as to whether or not GSS members have accepted the invitation. GSS representatives could not be reached for comment as of press time.

The GSS executive council also announced a resolution to appoint and finance a graduate employment public awareness campaign director. The resolution recommends Shezhad Ahmed, a second-year Ph.D. student studying mathematics and chair of the Graduate Student Workers Party.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="fefe87a0-72e9-11e5-a35c-af32d7cd62e9"}}

GSS will be looking at three new resolutions which include a resolution to appoint four new senate members and a resolution to establish a budget request procedure.

In addition, senators will consider a resolution to remove a section from the GSS Rules and Procedures, which permits the GSS President to speak “at anytime they feel like they have information that the body needs to hear in order to make informed decisions.”

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu