Nickolaus D. Russell

OU student arrested for alleged "terroristic threat" against police

Ohio University police arrested a student after an anonymous threat was made via social media.

The Ohio University Police Department arrested an OU student on one count of making a "terroristic threat," according to an OUPD news release.

The suspect, Nickolaus D. Russell, 19, of Gallipolis, is being held at the Southeast Ohio Regional Jail, according to the release.

His bond is set at $10,055, according to the jail's website.

Russell allegedly posted anonymously on social media he intended to “kill a cop.” OUPD was notified of the post at approximately 10:30 a.m. Friday, and following an investigation into the post identified Russell as the suspect. Russell was arrested at about 12 p.m. Friday at his Boyd Hall residence.

Ohio Homeland Security’s Strategic Analysis and Information Center coordinated with the Ohio State Highway Patrol’s Intelligence Unit, the FBI and the Delaware Valley Intelligence Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for information and analysis sharing, according to the news release.

“This case is another example of how well coordinated law enforcement and homeland security resources are today,” OUPD Chief Andrew Powers said in the release.

Making a terroristic threat is considered a third-degree felony and carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison.

Russell’s court date is scheduled for Monday at Athens Municipal Court, according to the jail's website.

nj342914@ohio.edu

@norajaara