Ohio red shirt junior forward, Holly Harris, kicks the ball between Western Michigan senior defender, Lindsey Lee, and Western Michigan senior middle fielder, Kylie Nylen. Ohio lost to Western Michigan 0-3 on October 4, 2015. 

Soccer: Early goals proved costly for Ohio against Western Michigan

A loss to Western Michigan sees Ohio drop back down to .500 in Mid-American Conference play.

Two first half goals effectively sunk Ohio on Sunday as it lost to Western Michigan, 3-0. 

Both early goals came from the Bobcats (4-7, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) failing to deal with crosses in the box. With freshman Rianna Reese and sophomore Kelley Zebrowski both pushing high up from the fullback position, Ohio was frequently left exposed at the back.

Ohio coach Aaron Rodgers said earlier in the week about Sunday games being a drag and after going to double overtime on Friday, Rodgers' team looked tired.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a04c4530-6961-11e5-9959-63fcb56144cb"}}

"I think we've got to figure out a way to come out stronger on Sunday," Rodgers said. "Coming off a great win for us Friday, we need to regroup."

Both early goals left freshman goalkeeper Taylor Smith stranded on her line, watching as the ball settled into the far corner of the net.

The Bobcats asserted themselves more in the later part of the first half and early in the second, but each shot seemed to be too soft or seemed to roll just wide of goal. 

A few substitutions — sophomore Vanessa Córdoba for Smith, and Mandy Arnzen and Mikaela McGee for Reese and Zebrowski — brought more defensively. But the third goal was an absolute gift for Western Michigan, as Celeste Fushimi-Karns whiffed on a clearance in the 68th minute and gifted a goal to Broncos' Olivia Vollmers. 

McGee went off shortly after with an apparent knee injury and the Bobcats fought valiantly for the last 20 minutes but managed little offensively. 

Ohio only managed two shots on goal, both being relatively tame efforts that didn't challenge Western Michigan's goalkeeper. The Broncos (6-3-2, 3-1) only managed five, but made them count, scoring on three of them and looking dangerous even when their attempts rolled wide.

The loss sees the Bobcats drop back down to .500 in conference play before two tricky away fixtures against Miami on Friday and Ball State on Sunday. Both teams sit within the first two spots of their respective divisions and have good records at home. 

"We've shown resilience all season and I think we're very talented," Rodgers said. "So I look forward to a good game against Miami."

@kellenbecoats

kb749012@ohio.edu