Ohio midfielder Carly Manso and Central Michigan midfielder Eliza Van de Kerkhove fight for the ball during an Ohio vs. Central Michigan game at Chessa field. Central Michigan beat Ohio 2-1 on Sunday.

Soccer: MAC tournament possibilities for Ohio

Ohio must rely on Akron to cement a spot in the MAC tournament.

Sunday’s game was a must win for Ohio.

Ohio, however, didn’t get the win it needed against Central Michigan. The Mid-American Conference tournament is now out of the Bobcats' control.

After Friday’s 3-1 loss to Toledo, it was crucial for Ohio to win the next two games. But following Sunday’s 2-1 loss, Ohio’s chances of getting that final spot are even more slim.

Ohio (5-12, 3-7 MAC) sit in last place of the east division and Akron has jurisdiction over who gets the last spot in the east.

“It’s frustrating to know that,” Rodgers said. “But we still have a chance. We have to go to Kent who is a good and very difficult to play at home.”

Kent State hasn’t lost a game at home and currently sits second in the east division.

Sunday, Ohio played its last home game of the season and celebrated its senior day. Seniors Grace Campbell and Leah Sandercock, and redshirt juniors Carly Manso and Holly Harris all walked onto the pitch for one final game at Chessa.

“These four have been awesome,” Rodgers said. “They have done a lot for this program.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f9b15662-78cd-11e5-a2b6-c34979de7863"}}

If Ohio manages to cement its fourth place in the east, the seniors on would have made it to the tournament three out of their four years here, missing last year. It would also be the second time in Rodgers’ career the Bobcats have made it.

Possibilities

For Ohio to get into the tournament some things have to happen around the MAC.

Akron also lost 3-0 against Miami on Sunday. This helps Ohio. This means that Akron is still tied with Ohio in fourth, but the Bobcats have the edge on goal-differential.

Come Thursday, Ohio has to win and hope for an Akron loss against Buffalo. If Ohio loses to Kent State, Akron has to lose for Ohio to get in.

“We have a lot to play for coming up on Thursday,” Rodgers said. “We should be energized and ready to go.”

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu