Ohio red shirt junior forward Holly Harris (16) kicks the ball in front of Western Michigan freshman defense Paige Dobbs (13) during the Ohio vs. Western Michigan game. The Bobcats lost to the Broncos 0-3 on Oct. 4.

Soccer: Ohio draws closer to MAC tournament with 4-2 win

Ohio dominated Bowling Green Sunday, drawing closer to getting a bid to the MAC tournament.

Coach Aaron Rodgers said Sundays can sometimes be a drag earlier in the year. 

That wasn’t the case this weekend though, as Ohio (5-10, 3-5 Mid-American Conference) looked more mentally prepared Sunday against Bowling Green in its 4-2 victory than it did in its 3-1 loss to Eastern Michigan Friday.

“This team has been resilient all year,” Rodgers said. “We have always found a way to get a result after a disappointment. The way we battle today, the way we stay committed to each other is what great teams do."

Rodgers said these exact same words to the team before Sunday’s game and it seemed to worked.

Within the first 15 minutes of the match, junior Alexis Milesky, sophomore Allie Curry and redshirt junior Holly Harris had scored for the Bobcats.

“I think getting hit in the face on Friday made us pick it up,” Milesky said. “Essentially, we have to get these wins.”

Rodgers said the disappointment of Friday’s game was what led to the mental stability of Sunday’s win, as Sunday’s game brought a lot of changes to the pitch for Ohio.

Curry got her fifth start of the season and capitalized on that with her first goal of the season.

“It’s been awesome,” Curry said. “I definitely had a rough start to the season, but I’m glad I got the start and I’m really excited I got a goal.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d1a5a4d6-6ed0-11e5-9131-1b740474a6eb"}}

Ohio’s dominance over Bowling Green (6-9-1, 2-6 MAC) Sunday is the kick start it needed before going into a stretch of three games remaining.

Rodgers said after Friday’s loss, his team needs three wins to confirm a spot in the MAC tournament; now the team needs just two.

So now it’s back to training in hopes of grabbing at least two wins over the next three games and getting a spot in the MAC tournament.

Toledo, Central Michigan and Kent State remain for Ohio and the match ups may not come as easy as Sunday’s.

“This has been such a great team to coach and I look forward to working hard this week and preparing for another big game Friday against Toledo,” Rodgers said.

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu