Ohio forward Alexis Milesky dribbles around Northern Illnois defender Jess Wooldridge during a game against Northern Illinois University at Chessa Field. Ohio beat Northern Illinois 2-0 in double overtime on Friday, October 2, 2015. 

Soccer: Ohio falls 1-0 to rival Miami

Ohio wasn't able to turn things around in Oxford and left the "Battle of the Bricksr" with a 1-0 defeat.

Ohio's winless streak against Miami will continue one more year.

The Bobcats (4-8, 2-3 Mid-American Conference) fell to the RedHawks 1-0 Friday afternoon. The last time the Bobcats beat the RedHawks was in 2008. 

It was a game that wasn't far out of reach for Ohio, but one it couldn't manage to squeeze points from.

“Could we have played better? I think we could have,” coach Aaron Rodgers said. “That says a lot about our team. If we were not our best today and it took Miami’s best at home to beat us, then I feel that is a lot of progress. But, we’re not satisfied with losing.”

The lone goal of the match is credited to Miami's Korrie Sauder, who finished from an assist from Haley Walter and Stephanie Dillon. 

From there, Ohio wasn't able to regroup, which has been a common theme in its losses this season. The only trend that didn't hold true was giving up a second goal after conceding one. 

Rodgers made one change in the lineup, moving freshman Mandy Arnzen into the team sheet, replacing sophomore Kelley Zebrowski. 

Rodgers also gave freshman Taylor Smith a chance to regain her confidence after Smith surrendered two goals last time in goal, though the goals weren't necessarily ones she could have stopped. 

What does this mean?

Ohio generally plays better on Friday games than Sunday games, so it will be interesting to see how it will face against Ball State on Sunday afternoon. 

The second fixture for Ohio this weekend doesn't get easier, as it will face a Ball State team that has not lost much. Ball State (9-2-2, 5-0 MAC) defeated Kent State, 3-0, and could wreak havoc on Ohio's back line.

There is still some confusion, and lack of communication, on the back line, as it has struggled at times this season to get into rhythm with each other. In last Sunday's loss against Western Michigan, all three goals were at the helm of the slip-ups from the back four. That also is due to the outside fullbacks pushing up too high and not being able to retreat during a counter.

Lastly, will Ohio continue to use the attacking style? It has created a lot more chances, but it has hurt the defense by not allowing the defense to get back and protect the goal. 

Rodgers said he doesn't plan on switching from his attacking scheme, but if the back four continues to struggle, he might have to start considering a shift in the tactics. 

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu