Amanda Dalton prepares for a pitch as her teammates watch during Ohio's game against Marshall on September 26, 2015. The Bobcats won 5-0 at the Ohio University Women’s Softball Complex. 

Softball: Young team finds success in fall season

Ohio softball finishes fall season undefeated and looks forward to its spring season. 

Coach Jodi Hermanek said the "fall is all about learning," and with more than half of the Bobcats' roster just beginning their careers, they learned how they faired against different competition. 

Posting a 7-0 record, Hermanek said she was thrilled with the overall performance during Ohio's fall season.

“We got our whole team together earlier than ever,” she said. “For many of the younger athletes, they didn’t look like it was their first time.”

Sophomore Danielle Stiene tossed a five-inning perfect game in Ohio's matchup with Dayton, which was one of the highlights for underclassmen players.

Hermanek also said the fall practice schedule and subsequent games are focused on team development rather than one-on-one instruction.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="6da978e8-5d84-11e5-aed9-afe5c80d7e58"}}

“When you can get the whole team out here together, you have to take advantage,” Hermanek said.   

Offensively, the Bobcats looked improved compared to last season. Against Marshall and Charleston, Ohio had 31 total hits in three games, including 12 in a 10-2 win against Charleston. 

"We kept constant pressure on the defense, so there was no emphasis on differential, just sustainability of success," Hermanek said.

Hermanek said sustained success in the batter’s box is the goal moving forward.

“We let some counts draw out too much, we need to finish those earlier to take the pressure off of us,” Hermanek said.

“Together, Better” is the mantra for Ohio, and after the fall slate, the slogan could symbolize what's to come in the spring. 

wh398914@ohio.edu