Pete Nakos

Sports Blog: Here are some things to keep an eye out for as the PGA Tour starts Thursday

Rickie Fowler and Jim Furyk will chase after Jordan Spieth this season.

With the PGA Tour starting today, let’s take a look back to last year.

2014-15 was filled with Jordan Spieth’s magical run, Rory McIlory’s ankle injury, and Tiger Woods contending again. It would be wrong to not go through some predictions for the season, so here it is: five things to watch out for this season.

Jordan Spieth will win two majors again

In the past calendar year Spieth won two major championships, which were The 2015 Masters and the U.S. Open. The man is on a roll. Between his mental toughness and his clutch shots, Spieth has officially taken the title of number one golfer in the world. Until somebody steals the spotlight from him, it will continue to shine on him.

Rory McIlroy will be back to challenge Spieth 

After McIlroy’s devastating ankle injury, which made him pull out of competition from the British Open, it was almost obvious that he was going to come back strong. When your year is completely stopped before your nation’s major, that builds a fire inside of you. So, as a golf fan, I expect him to come back strong, but with a vengeance to dominate the golf landscape this year.

Phil Mickelson and Woods will both be named assistant captains for the Ryder Cup

The Ryder Cup will be coming up this year, and that means the team will need to be named soon. But I believe that two of the assistant captains on the United States' side this year will be Phil Mickelson and Woods. The two have been the best U.S. golfers in past years, and both have experience when it comes to Ryder Cup play. Additionaly, both could be good mentors for players such as Spieth and Rickie Fowler.

Jason Day and Rickie Fowler will continue to nip at the heels of McIlroy, Spieth

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="338c1b16-240e-11e5-b74a-5fece8bb1ad9"}}

In all four majors this past season when Spieth wasn’t winning, Jason Day and Fowler were shining. The two both have many years left in their careers, and we will be seeing Day, Fowler, McIlroy and Spieth dominating the scene for years to come. The quality of golf played will improve, and the magic of the early 2000’s will be reinvented.

Vijay Singh and Jim Furyk will be refreshing faces throughout the year

They might be the two oldest players still playing on the green, but they still play quality golf. Both are known for keeping to themselves, but also being friendly to the media. In recent years, with all of the drama surrounding Woods, these two have stuck to their roots and taken a back seat to all of the action. Look for the two to be mentors to the younger players, as well as contending in every major due to their experience through the years. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu