Christian Edgington

Sports Column: Bengals remain undefeated, look to get over playoff slump

Is this the year the Cincinnati Bengals get over their playoff slump?

The Cincinnati Bengals have improved to a 4-0 record for the first time since 2005 with their win over the Kansas City Chiefs Sunday.

The Bengals are just one of six remaining undefeated teams in the NFL, and all seems to be clicking for the team so far. 

Though quarterback Andy Dalton has received heavy criticism recently for his lack of playoff success, he is surely making up for it this year.

Dalton has looked like an "elite" quarterback through the first four games of the season -- throwing for 1,187 passing yards and nine touchdowns all without turning the ball over much. So far this season, Dalton has totaled only one interception and fumble.

Last season, Cincinnati was plagued with injuries on both sides of the ball, as they were forced to play without their current starting tight end Tyler Eifert, linebacker Vontaze Burfict, receiver Marvin Jones and even star receiver AJ Green for a few games. When healthy though, the Bengals have proven to be a dangerous team in the AFC North.

Along with the return to full health, the running game of the Bengals has contributed to the offensive success through four games. Giovani Bernard and Jeremy Hill have been able to play cooperatively this season, each getting their fair share of touches to start the year.

Bernard was seen as the pass-catching, elusive running back last season, but this year, Bernard is being used in short-yardage situations as well, displaying his ability to run the ball as he did previous to Hill’s arrival.

Defensively, the Bengals have been able to build a deep secondary with a defensive line that is able to create pressure when needed. Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson have been able to create havoc in the opponent's backfield totaling 11 sacks through week five. Last season, the defense totaled just 20 sacks the entire season.

The Bengals will face a true test as the defending NFC champion Seattle Seahawks travel to Paul Brown Stadium Sunday. A key matchup to watch during the game will be Green against Seattle's candid corner Richard Sherman. Green has struggled against elite cornerbacks in the past, and it will be interesting to see if he can overcome the play of Sherman.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has yet to win a playoff game as the head coach, however, Lewis has the team off to a 4-0 start with both the offense and defense showing great success. Could this be the year Lewis and the Bengals finally overcome their playoff woes? If the first four weeks indicated anything, it's that yes, the Bengals finally will. 

@edgeofcincy

re620914@ohio.edu