Wynston Wilcox

Sports staff: The winter sports 'Hot Takes'

Here are the winter sports predictions.

The winter is upon us. Brrrr. Don't worry, the sports staffers are here to deliver some saucy hot takes to melt away the cabin fever.

Best Winter sport…

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="0ae74034-51e3-11e5-9b80-ff0647189005"}}

Luke O’Roark | Sports Editor: Women’s basketball. It feels like a cop-out picking them, but Bob Boldon and company are too good to overlook. They’ll have at least 20 wins.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="24b76c5a-51e3-11e5-b74c-d7deced09b79"}}

Charlie Hatch | Sports Editor: Women’s basketball. I’m biased. But I’ve covered the team the last two years and have seen a complete transformation. The Bobcats lost their two leaders (Kat Yelle and Mariah Byard), but they still can compete for consecutive MAC titles.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a6a272fc-bbb9-11e4-9992-5bcf66f2db40"}}

Tony Wolfe | Senior Writer: Hockey. This one’s insanely close between the guys on the ice and women’s basketball, but I’m going with higher ceiling here. The women’s basketball team is the clear-cut MAC favorites this season, but on the national stage are still a few steps below contending in the tournament. Hockey, meanwhile, has a legitimate shot at a national title in the ACHA.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="be951a0c-51e3-11e5-8fff-3bba8d2f3649"}}

Wynston Wilcox | Staff Writer: Women's basketball. It's pretty clear cut. They were the best winter sport last year, and they'll be best again this year. "Bob's Ballers" will be strong this year and I'd be shocked if they miss out on the NCAA tournament this year.

Jordan Horrobin | Staff Writer: Hockey. Having already earned a No. 1 ranking (which they are about to lose), the Bobcats have shown they possess a higher ceiling than last year. Multiple contributing freshman, a top line in its second year together and two stellar goalies might make this team better than last year’s, which finished No. 6 in the national rankings.

Darkhorse sport…

LO: Wrestling. These guys get no love but really deserve it. Coach Joel Greenlee is an excellent coach, as this team quietly sent six wrestlers to the NCAA Tournament last season. Expect Tywan Claxton and Cody Walters to perform well in 2015-16.

CH: Basketball. The team was pretty bad last year, so it’s hard to think it could be any worse. That sounds mean, but a 1-11 away record is just awful. This is a rebounding year for sure.

TW: Wrestling. I feel profoundly sorry for anyone who hasn’t gotten a chance to watch Phil Wellington, Cody Walters, and Tywan Claxton wrestle yet. But it’s the senior year for that trio, so here’s your last chance to go see some of the best in the NCAA take their respective talents to the mat. They’re all national title contenders, as well.

WW: Men's basketball. Last year was a rebuilding year and this year will be too. But Saul Phillips has a year behind him with his new team and they should be a team that surprise Bobcat fans. Saul Ball is on the rise.

JH: Wrestling. I think this sport flies under the radar too much and admittedly, I've never witnessed a live match. Six wrestlers made the national tournament last year and most of them are returning as seniors for another shot. I'll make sure to see some of the action live this season.

Athlete to look out for…

LO: Jaaron Simmons. From what I’ve seen during the offseason/preseason, Simmons will be fun to watch. He’s a slashing point guard who enjoys getting into the paint and assisting his teammates. “Saul Ball” may be middling this year, but Simmons will not.

CH: Destini Cooper. Cooper was hurt in 2014-15, and had to watch Ohio’s best season ever from the sideline. Now she’s healthy, and has to compete for minutes at forward. The last time she was healthy she was basically one of the only options. I think she can have a strong, productive year, even if the numbers don’t show it.

TW: Is it too obvious to say Kenny Kaminski? Because that’s who I’m going to have my eye on come tip-off. The Michigan State transfer is only a couple of years removed from being a nearly consensus top-20 power forward in the country, and outside of the rigors of the Big Ten, I’m excited to see how the 6' 8" redshirt junior operates in Phillips’ system.

WW: Laura Dawson. She competed really well last season and was part of the 200-yard medley relay that swamped all of its competitors. She is a great individual swimmer as well. She's gonna be good and her along with the team deserve some support too.

JH: Kenny Kaminski. Whenever Tom Izzo is recruiting someone to play for his Spartans in East Lansing, Michigan, you know there's some real talent there. And every fan at the Convo loves a sharpshooter from beyond the arc, so get ready to see plenty more bits of newspaper fly when Kaminski is taking the shots.

Best case scenario for winter sports....

LO: Women’s basketball makes the NCAA Tournament again. Not only do I want this for the team, but also for women’s sports here at Ohio. Women’s sports hardly get recognition on campus by fans, as attendance records are significantly lower for women’s sports. Women’s basketball could spearhead that change.

CH: The new Green Fever shirts are awesome. This might be a stupid request, but last year’s short-sleeved shirts were a let down. Bring back the long-sleeved ones, please! (From the person not supposed to actively root for the teams!)

TW: Hockey wins its fifth ACHA national title, women’s basketball blows away the MAC en route to its second straight NCAA bid, and men’s basketball wins 10 in the MAC but can’t quite muster the worst-to-first run of women’s basketball circa 2014.

WW: Best case scenario, both men's and women's basketball make it to and win the MAC Tournament, getting a bid in the NCAA Tournament as well.

JH: Best (realistic) case is for women’s basketball to make a second straight NCAA Tournament. It seems possible given the number of returning players from last year’s roster. Overall best case scenario is a miracle run through the MAC Tournament by the men’s basketball team into national competition.

What you’re looking forward to the most….

LO: Hockey getting over the hump. Seems like OU hockey has been so good the past few seasons (decades, I should say) but have never been quite good enough to win the ACHA consistently. Coach Sean Hogan and the Bobcats were recently ranked No. 1 in the nation, and I think that’s all the indication I need to assume they will finally go the distance this season.

CH: Bob Boldon interviews. They’re fun, they’re different every time and no one’s safe. Whether you’re in the bowels of the Convo or out in Arizona, Boldon isn’t afraid to give someone a hard time. Plus, we can talk about the Cleveland Browns. Not that we should...

TW: I’d like to see if Cody Walters can reclaim the All-American status he gained his freshman year. He started his collegiate career just about as strongly as anyone could hope to, only for his sophomore year to be injury-plagued and then end his best year to date with an 0-2 finish in the NCAA tournament. He’s as fun to watch as anyone in the country when he’s healthy, and I’m excited to see how much he cranks it up for his swan song.

WW: I'm most excited to see what Saul Phillips does in his second year. The men's basketball program is fun, but it's nice when the team is winning too. Let's see how they do this year.

JH: Hard not to be excited for men’s basketball. A 10-20 record last year is a tough reminder that we could be in for another long season, but won't it be fun to watch along the way regardless? Saul Phillips' second year will feature many more players immersed into his system than last year. Maybe the team will start turning things around.