Clare Palo

Technobabble: Five reasons you need LinkedIn to stay in the internship game

The social network can help you get a job or internship if you use it right.

It’s internship application season, Bobcats: The best and most stressed time of the year.

LinkedIn, often referred to as the “Facebook for professionals,” or that annoying social network that sends way too many emails (they were sued for that recently), is a crucial tool when applying for jobs and internships.

This social media platform, which prides itself for being the “World’s Largest Professional Network,” has some serious perks.

For starters, if you don’t have a LinkedIn account, for whatever reason, create that now. No matter your major or job network, LinkedIn can be valuable to you. Although the website itself is very limited in design and social media managing purposes, it can be very useful for your professional brand.

Here are five reasons you should be using LinkedIn:

1. It’s becoming a recruiting hub.

Three words: SEO (search engine optimization). Depending on your LinkedIn “professional headline,” which appears when searching someone on LinkedIn, recruiters are able to find you for job openings. If you receive an inbox notification from a person who claims to be a recruiter on LinkedIn, they could possibly snag you a job. So, before marking it as spam, check it out to see if it’s the real deal.

2. Jobs applications are asking for LinkedIn URL links

If you have applied for a job in the past year, you may have noticed employers asking for links to your professional portfolios, websites and LinkedIn profiles. Employers are looking to see if you are on the cutting edge of the digital generation. Don’t give them a reason to click to the next applicant because you lacked a simple social tool.

3. It’s a great way to see what jobs are out there

What’s great about LinkedIn connection suggestions is that it allows you to see the types of portfolios the people in your field might have. How did they work their way up to your dream job? LinkedIn is an online, clickable creatable resume — you can find out the stepping-stones to your dream job.

4. Connections, connections, connections

LinkedIn is the epitome of networking. A bubble graph on the side of a person’s profile will pop up and show you how you are connected to another person and BAM! You have an instant conversation starter.

5. There’s a LinkedIn App

You already scroll through Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat and the Gram during your downtime and during class, you might as well add another network to the mix — which could seriously help your career. Plus, it’s a good way to rid those annoying emails by accepting or rejecting requests instantly.

Clare Palo is a senior studying journalism and Digital Content Director for The Post. What do you think of LinkedIn? Tweet her @clarepalo or email her at cp954211@ohio.edu.