Libby Chidlow

We the People: Jennifer Lawrence says what many have been thinking: The gender wage gap has got to go

In an essay, the actress debates the wage gap and gender inequality within the workplace.

In an email recently released, Jennifer Lawrence — the world’s highest paid actress — spoke out about the issue of women being treated differently than men in the workplace, especially financially.

In her essay, used in Lena Dunham’s newsletter “Lenny,” Lawrence discussed the struggle of debating her pay and the gender wage gap. Although Dunham has been problematic as a white feminist, the essay by Lawrence in her newsletter speaks to and affects many.

Like many, Lawrence was not aware of the enormous wage gap between her and her male counterparts. When the Sony hack happened and its confidential information was released, she realized just what had been missing from her salary. Now, the number she is being paid to act and provide entertainment is ridiculous, but the focus right now is on the gap between her salary and Robert Downey Jr.’s, the highest paid actor. The gap affects all women, and it also affects variations of women, men and non-binaries that are not of Caucasian descent. If you can come across as white, but mark American Indian on your job application, then you are going to suffer financially from this inequality.

So back to Lawrence... After the hack, she felt a need to debate her salary; however, the nagging voice in her head kept saying that it was her fault. That for some reason she had failed as a negotiator, and that’s why there was a gap between her salary and the financially-leading male actor. This voice was created from women being branded by the patriarchy as “bitches” when they speak their mind without expressing self-doubt or using an apologetic tone. For men, acting as the boss is “natural” and more than expected; it is bred into their minds as normal since day one.

Women should not fear offending or upsetting men due to their “tone of voice” or “manner of speaking.” They should feel comfortable asking questions, pitching ideas and expressing their opinions on topics, especially controversial ones. Their vocalized thoughts should not be an act of confidence, but something natural and normal. When it comes to speaking their minds, many should adopt Lawrence’s way of thinking when that nagging voice in their head says to avoid coming across as bratty, selfish or bitchy. It’s a “f--k that” attitude that will hopefully help women and people suffering from the wage gap debate and speak their minds more. In the long run, more people with those attitudes could be the solution to getting rid of the wage gap.

Elizabeth Chidlow is a sophomore studying journalism. What do you think of Jennifer Lawrence’s essay? Email her at ec629914@ohio.edu.