Ohio midfielder Carly Manso and Central Michigan midfielder Eliza Van de Kerkhove fight for the ball during an Ohio vs. Central Michigan game at Chessa field. Central Michigan beat Ohio 2-1 on Sunday.

Women's Soccer: Ohio turns into aggressor too late, falls to Central Michigan

Ohio has been forced into a must-win situation. 

Ohio turned into the aggressor too late on Sunday, falling to Central Michigan 2-1 on Senior Day. 

Throughout the first half of play the Chippewas dominated, playing physically and pounding Bobcat goalie Taylor Smith with seven shots. 

Momentum shifted in the second half, with crisp passing from Ohio’s midfield, and ball possession in the final third. 

“We made some tactical adjustments to deal with how they were attacking us," coach Aaron Rodgers said. "I thought we did a really good job."

Coming into the second half, the Bobcats trailed 1-0, but responded in the 53rd minute when sophomore Hannah Jaggers scored her first goal of the season. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="968186fa-71c7-11e5-aace-8f7ced44c180"}}

Ohio had multiple opportunities after Jaggers’ goal, with six shots on target. Central Michigan responded in the 75th minute and Ohio couldn't muster a late equalizer. 

With the loss, Ohio falls to 5-12 on the year and 3-7 in the MAC, and is forced into a must-win situation on Thursday against Kent State. If Akron wins its remaining fixture, Ohio won't make postseason play.

“I mean you can really look at our game on Thursday as a postseason game," Rodgers said. "In order for us to have any chance, we have to win it, we are going to have to be the aggressor and we are going to have to be the team that goes out firing on all cylinders.

"I think we can take the second half performance and use it to propel us to hopefully good result.”

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu