Tanner Ingle

BedPost: What to do when you see your current beau’s former flame

Columnists Tanner Ingle and Abbey Peyton weigh in on how to act if you find yourself face to face with your significant other’s ex.

TI: Awkward social interactions are never a fun time, but we all must face them every now and again. A notable uncomfortable scene happens when you’re out and about with your special someone and in comes their ex. Your initial gut reaction is most likely something along the lines of, “Ugh, go away.”

However, we are all navigating that road into adulthood, and because we are all mature(ish) adults, that means you should act as such whenever you can.

There’s no need to be snippy, avoid eye contact, give the cold shoulder or do anything of the like. However, you don’t need to go make best friends with their ex, but simply being friendly whenever you happen upon one another is the best route to go.

You really have no reason to feel weird or unfriendly around them, because everyone is human, and relationships begin and end all the time. Their ex most likely isn’t a threat to you, so when you occasionally run into them, just try your best to be civil. A crazy, insecure boyfriend or girlfriend is just as uncool as a psycho ex. Just don’t be that person.

So when you’re toolin’ around town with your guy or gal and see their ex come by, just smile and wave, because after all, they aren’t with your boyfriend/girlfriend anymore, you are.

Tanner Ingle is a junior studying studio art and environmental and plant biology. What advice would you give someone in this situation? Email him at kb749012@ohio.edu.

AP: Your significant other is more than likely going to have an ex. And yes, it's more than likely going to be an awkward situation when you're with them at the bar and he/she pops up to say “Hello.”

You probably already know about this ex because your beau probably talks about them a decent amount, or has at least brought them up. In this situation, don't get awkward. There's a reason they aren't together anymore and your hubby is with you instead.

There's always going to be resounding feelings between them, but there's no reason to worry.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="64de65ec-769e-11e5-b397-c372da7eeda4"}}

Relationships are vulnerable, and they're going to get to a person. After a break up, those feelings don't just disappear, but they do change and subside. You're in bae's life for a reason, and you're helping them to move on.

Don't get insecure. It will be awkward, but know that in the end you're the one who got the girl, or boy. Cheers to your triumph!

Abbey Peyton is a senior studying broadcast journalism. What experiences do you have with running into your significant other’s ex? Email her at ap384611@ohio.edu.