Editorial

Editorial: Ohio University students bring College Photographer of the Year awards back to Athens

Ohio University students collect accolades at the College Photographer of the Year competition.

It’s widely reported that Ohio University has a terrific journalism program. Student journalists here do solid work for outlets on campus and often go on to do even greater things in the professional world.

Often lost in that praise, though, is another gem at OU: its photojournalism program, which we think is among the best the U.S. has to offer.

Many of the students enrolled in that program make our stories come alive online and in print by providing vibrant photos of life at OU and in Athens. Photography is too often a forgotten part of our industry, so we feel very fortunate to work with such talented young professionals.

That’s why we were particularly pleased to see that many of our colleagues — whom we’ve met through The Post and elsewhere on campus — were honored last week by the College Photographer of the Year awards.

According to the competition’s website, more than 11,000 photographs, 400 picture stories and 70 portfolios were submitted from around the world. Among the list of winners, some familiar names were featured.

Honored OU students included:

• Daniel Owen: runner-up for College Photographer of the Year, silver in documentary and portfolio

• Logan Riely: gold in feature, silver in sports portfolio

• Eli Hiller: award of excellence in feature

• Calvin Mattheis: gold in sports portfolio, silver in sports action

• Lucas Reilly: award of excellence in domestic picture story

• CK Vijayakumar: award of excellence in documentary

In addition to congratulating those who won awards, we also want to extend our appreciation to those out there capturing meaningful and beautiful images that constantly impress us.

For those who aren’t involved in our line of work, remember that OU has a lot to be proud of — its photojournalism program notably included.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: Editor-in-Chief Emma Ockerman, Managing Editor Rebekah Barnes and Digital Managing Editor Samuel Howard. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.