Editors of ‘The Post’ back ballot Issue 1

The amendment would allow for a more clear process of creating legislative districts in Ohio.

The more clear and fair political processes are, the better.

Issue 1 on Tuesday’s ballot deals with drawing districts for Ohio’s legislature. Currently, the majority party in the state is granted the ability to draw district lines, often to its own benefit. The party does not have to take into consideration the views of the minority party.

If passed, the amendment to Ohio’s constitution would create a seven-person panel that would approve new Senate and House districts. At least two of the members would need to be representative of the minority group at the time. If those two members did not agree to the new district maps, new maps will have to be drawn in four years.

In a state where the legislative districts are so clearly manipulated into keeping portions of the state with similar political views together, it would be refreshing to see a law created to combat the partisan politics.

The amendment would also force state politicians to be more transparent in any laws dealing with district realignment since public meetings, displays of maps and a letter explaining plans would all have to be set up.

All of what is mentioned above are changes that would greatly help Ohio transition away from a politically-polarized state to one of bipartisan partnership. 

Endorsements represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors.