Editors of ‘The Post’ oppose ballot Issue 3

The measure has already raised some concerns over potential monopolies that it would create.

We cannot, and do not, support corporate monopolies.

Tuesday’s ballot Issue 3 would allow a very small number of groups to heavily benefit financially from the legalization of marijuana. For that reason, we urge voters to shoot down the measure.

If the law dealt strictly with the legalization of medical and recreational marijuana, our discussion would’ve been very different. Since the state issue does much more than that, we disapprove of the proposed law.

We agree that marijuana reform is a much-needed concept in Ohio, but the stipulations attached to the law, one of which is that only an exclusive group of people would be allowed to grow the plant, deters our support.

ResponsibleOhio, the group at the helm of the issue, maintained a stance that the measure would not create monopolies. The same organization, however, urges voters to vote against Issue 2, the measure that would ensure no monopolies established by Ohio’s constitution exist in the state.

We can only conclude that the group knowingly would have monopolies in the state because there is no other logical reason for it to want Issue 2 to not pass. If Issue 3 does not allow for monopolies and Issue 2 doesn’t create monopolies, why is ResponsibleOhio concerned?

We urge Ohio lawmakers to create a different law to legalize marijuana — one that does not come with strings attached.

Endorsements represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors.