Emma Ockerman

From The Editor's Desk: Election coverage provides launching pad for young journalists

The Post covered this week's elections and gained a better understanding of political reporting

For journalists both young and veteran, election coverage means running when you haven't all year, eating a disgusting amount of pizza (purchased by your editors) and tweeting so fast your fingers hurt.

Yet, we wouldn't miss it for the world.

The first Tuesday in November provides probably the best training ground imaginable for reporters looking to get into covering politics, breaking news or anything in between. It's hectic, often confusing but arguably one of the most exciting nights of the year. 

It's comforting to know that even when student journalists enter the so-called real world, they'll still be hanging out in the bar of choice for the Republican or Democratic party (West End Cider House and The Pigskin, respectively, in Athens) eagerly awaiting candidate quotes. They'll still rely on either faxed reports from each county Board of Elections or the physical copies they pick up from ballot officials. Reporters' phones will never be charged enough for the coverage they'll endure all night, they will have always worn the wrong shoes or something else silly — but they'll always be happy they put their boots to the ground and serviced the reader. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="7b4b4370-80cd-11e5-b6fe-0f365fdf4840"}}

It's not the most glamorous part of journalism, but it's a yearly adrenaline rush for those that have or haven't covered politics before. As far as The Post goes, we had about six reporters and a handful of photographers and videographers on-scene Tuesday night, and designers and copyeditors eagerly awaiting their stories back in the newsroom. The paper went to the presses at 6 a.m. the following morning — evidence that we stayed up all night to get it right.

Next year, things will predictably get a little more hectic. When that happens, though, our dedicated reporters will be ready.

Until then, we're recovering from our pizza coma. 

Emma Ockerman is a junior studying journalism and editor-in-chief of The Post. Want to talk to her? Email her at eo300813@ohio.edu or tweet her @eockerman.