Emma Ockerman

From The Editor's Desk: Join 'The Post' for a panel session with reporters from TIME, Forbes

Have no clue what you're supposed to be learning before you polish your resume and head into the media field? Just like talking to journalists? Join 'The Post' on Tuesday at 7 p.m. 

In a column earlier this year, I pledged The Post would start hosting student-led lectures on topics that would better prepare Oho University's journalists to dive into a competitive media field. 

We've had three of these "Post Sessions" so far — one on basic reporting skills, another on digital media and the most recent meant for reporters learning to take their own photos for the first time — that were primarily attended by our own staffers.

However, a writer's symposium and workshop, organized by Post Director of Editorial Initiatives Will Drabold and including a panel discussion led by Jim Schaefer, a reporter at The Detroit Free Press, and Rachael Larimore, a senior editor for Slate, drew a significantly more diverse crowd. In plain terms, that means more student media outlets attended. That's what we're hoping for, and we suspect part of more robust attendance had to do with students' hunger for networking possibilities and hearing about the future of media from those journalists that are already embedded in it.

In that vein, The Post will be hosting a panel discussion on Nov. 16 at 7 p.m. that will be open to everyone. The panel will center around what student journalists — not just those within The Post — need to be focusing their energy on before they hit the so-called "real world." Basically, we'll be talking a lot about where you could go wrong, and what you could definitely be doing right. 

The panel will include Phil Elliott, a reporter in TIME's D.C. Bureau (and former Post editor-in-chief), Emily Mullin, a reporter for Forbes, Amy Nordrum, a reporter for the International Business Times, Doug Haddix, director of the Kiplinger Program of Public Affairs Journalism at Ohio State University and Bob Davis, associate publisher and editor of The Anniston Star. You won't want to miss it.

Join The Post in Schoonover 450 this Tuesday for what will surely be a valuable learning experience. Also, it's a great way for us to get to know one another (after all, we're all feeling the weight of internship application season. We could use a shoulder to lean on.) 

See you there.

Emma Ockerman is a junior studying journalism and editor-in-chief of The Post. Have a question about this upcoming Post Session, or want to host one yourself? Email her at eo300813@ohio.edu or tweet her @eockerman.